ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need help guidance as a beginner of Android world

<< < (5/6) > >>

cyberdiva:
For backing up data files in general, I recommend X-plore File Manager, a dual pane file manager that makes it very easy to copy files to and from other computers on your local network as well as backup data to various cloud services.
-xtabber (March 11, 2015, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

When I clicked on the link above for X-plore File Manager, I got a Play Store error message saying "We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server."

Deozaan:
Somehow the URL is missing an "s?" in the middle of it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore

anandcoral:
I searched for recycle bin and found that most blog and forums suggested Dumpster

I installed it and deleted one photo from gallery. It showed up in Dumpster and I was able to restore it.
If anyone had used it, please let me know of any problem in using it.

Also I need anti-virus and wifi firwall, need suggestion of apps being used by others.

I liked some of the apps at f-droid, thanks ewemoa, but is it safe to use apps from it ? Any users of it ?

Regards,

Anand

eleman:
Also I need anti-virus.
-anandcoral (March 12, 2015, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, you don't.

4wd:
I searched for recycle bin and found that most blog and forums suggested Dumpster-anandcoral (March 12, 2015, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

They must of updated it a bit from when I tried it.  Well done for finding one that works for you.

I installed it and deleted one photo from gallery.
--- End quote ---

Try it with a file deleted from the MicroSD card, (if you have one installed), since KitKat allows files operations on internal storage without too much in the way of problems.

And just as a matter of interest, what version of Android is it running, (Settings->About phone->Android version) ?

I liked some of the apps at f-droid, thanks ewemoa, but is it safe to use apps from it ? Any users of it ?
--- End quote ---

Yes, F-Droid is fine if you don't want to be dragged into the Play store all the time.

Also I need anti-virus.
-anandcoral (March 12, 2015, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, you don't.
-eleman (March 12, 2015, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree with eleman here, but I do run a firewall mainly ensure apps do not access networks they're not supposed to, eg. VPN, LAN, Roam, Data.  The one I run is of limited use to you as it requires root access.

Don't know if it's specific to my phone, (which is basically the same as the A6000 with a lower screen resolution), but if you go to Settings->Networked apps you can set which apps you've downloaded have access to Mobile Data and/or Wi-Fi.

Need help guidance as a beginner of Android world

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version