ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need help guidance as a beginner of Android world

<< < (4/6) > >>

Deozaan:
I want system wide recycle bin. Any suggestion ?-anandcoral (March 11, 2015, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't delete anything except when you're using ES File Explorer. (c:

4wd:
I installed ES F.E. and enabled recycle bin, but it different from what I want. It will only put in bin those files deleted from ESFE and not from, say, photo gallery.

I want system wide recycle bin. Any suggestion ?-anandcoral (March 11, 2015, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK, there isn't any that will work 100% reliably, (having tried a few), and since you're running unrooted Android KitKat OS there isn't any at all, (again AFAIK).

Under an unmodified KitKat, (Android 4.4), any app that requires write access to external storage is severely restricted in that it can only write to folders it creates/controls - the OS dictates this.  Any form of Recycle Bin would need global write access to all storage in order to restore deleted items, KitKat doesn't allow this.  

If you require a global Recycle Bin that works across all your storage media then your options are limited:

* Upgrade to Lollipop (Android 5)
* Downgrade to Jelly Bean (Android 4.3)
* Root your phone, (will generally void any warranty - depends how anal the manufacturer/retailer is), and modify the media write permissions (there are apps in the Play store to do the permission modification)
Given that it's a new phone and possible inclination against voiding the warranty, your best option is to wait to see if Lenovo release Android 5 for your phone.

NOTE: There may indeed be a Recycle Bin app that'll work globally under KitKat (I still can't see how it would without root) - you'd need to trawl the Play store to find it though.

cyberdiva:
Your problem is that you have Android KitKat and under that you're severely limited in where apps can write to the SD card.  You'd either have to keep using the system default file manager, root the device to change the external media write policy, or upgrade to Android Lollipop.
-4wd (March 10, 2015, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
One word of caution about upgrading to Lollipop.  I've been reading some of the Android Central forums, as well as some forums for specific Android apps, and there have been LOTS of complaints about Lollipop, including a number of people reporting that it rendered their tablets or phones useless.  It's true that some people are happy with Lollipop, but there were so many people reporting serious problems that I decided not to upgrade when I had the chance to do so.   When I say Lollipop, I'm referring to Android 5.0, 5.01, and 5.02.  There are reports that 5.1 will soon be available.  Given the reports on 5.0, 5.01, and 5.02, I'm planning to wait to see whether Google finally got it right with 5.1 before I install it.  You might be wise to wait as well.

xtabber:
There is no global undelete in Android and the Android OS is very aggressive about reclaiming memory and storage space.  If in doubt, don't delete things before you copy them somewhere.

You can backup photos and videos automatically by turning on auto-backup in the Google Photo app. See here for more information.

Google's backup service will automatically backup most apps and the data they own (but not external data you have worked on with an app like an editor or reader).  This is only useful if you do a factory reset, in which case your apps will be restored after the device has been wiped.  Check that "Backup My Data" is enabled under Settings/Backup and Reset.

For backing up data files in general, I recommend X-plore File Manager, a dual pane file manager that makes it very easy to copy files to and from other computers on your local network as well as backup data to various cloud services.

Deozaan:
Your problem is that you have Android KitKat and under that you're severely limited in where apps can write to the SD card.  You'd either have to keep using the system default file manager, root the device to change the external media write policy, or upgrade to Android Lollipop.
-4wd (March 10, 2015, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
One word of caution about upgrading to Lollipop.  I've been reading some of the Android Central forums, as well as some forums for specific Android apps, and there have been LOTS of complaints about Lollipop, including a number of people reporting that it rendered their tablets or phones useless.  It's true that some people are happy with Lollipop, but there were so many people reporting serious problems that I decided not to upgrade when I had the chance to do so.   When I say Lollipop, I'm referring to Android 5.0, 5.01, and 5.02.  There are reports that 5.1 will soon be available.  Given the reports on 5.0, 5.01, and 5.02, I'm planning to wait to see whether Google finally got it right with 5.1 before I install it.  You might be wise to wait as well.
-cyberdiva (March 11, 2015, 07:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Lollipop didn't render my tablet useless, but it removed some features (such as silent mode and automatically adjusting brightness) and made other things I access multiple times each day more cumbersome to deal with. The little annoyances with Lollipop added up and after a couple of months I'd had enough, so I reverted back to KitKat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version