ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interested in doing my own car maintenance.. Advice?

<< < (15/18) > >>

crabby3:

Anyone remember the name of this mechanic's hand soap?  It came in a can with a blue label.  It looked just like Crisco.  Like a white lard.  Or like the white part of Dannon :fruit on the bottom" yogurt.

It escapes my memory.   :-[

-MilesAhead (April 25, 2015, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe Gojo?
-crabby3 (April 25, 2015, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would have remembered that name once mentioned.  It must have been goop.  I remember it had Lanolin.  That was back before anyone knew how good aloe was.  :)

-MilesAhead (April 26, 2015, 09:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I love a mystery...  :)

Would you have remembered Zep?  (I didn't until about 10 min. ago)

I don't recall seeing it sold retail, (mid 70s), but the dispenser-ready can, used in truck repair-shops, was mostly this color blue w/ this logo.

The can was about 6" x 10".  The top lid was the same size as the can and could be pryed open with a screw driver.

There was a second lid on the bottom, about the size of a golf ball, if you wanted to use a dispenser.

It was off-white Crisco as well but i never used any... so i don't know if it was gritty or had Lanolin.

Both Goop and Zep have been around for more than 60 years.  Haven't researched Gojo.

MilesAhead:
I remember the name Zep.  But not what it was like using it.

Edit: come to think of it, I seem to remember this was the green stuff with abrasive.  Like a green mud.  I remember the dual opening can described.

Goop, if that's what it was, was a strong lye based soap.  But at least it didn't have abrasives.  Anyway, none of the stuff worked if you had to bust tires.  Some of the tire changers wore gloves.  But I needed more control.  I was a thin guy and not strong back then.  (Now I'm a fat not strong guy.  Progress! ) I had to rely on timing.  I never changed a split rim truck tire the whole time.  That was better side-stepped in my estimation.  The store where I did my first stint as an official mechanic there was a tire cage with two of the bars bent out from one of the rims going off during inflation.  It was like that when I got there.  Anyway the managers didn't push it since they could see how slight of build I was.

Stoic Joker:
Beats me. Outside of Goop/GoJo all I can think of is Fast Orange...(I have a 1 gallon bottle in the garage that I've had for years)...but that doesn't fit the description. It's a pumice/lanolin hand cleaner on a hand lotion style pump dispenser.

crabby3:
I remember the name Zep.  But not what it was like using it.

Edit: come to think of it, I seem to remember this was the green stuff with abrasive.  Like a green mud.  I remember the dual opening can described.

Goop, if that's what it was, was a strong lye based soap.  But at least it didn't have abrasives.  Anyway, none of the stuff worked if you had to bust tires.  Some of the tire changers wore gloves.  But I needed more control.  I was a thin guy and not strong back then.  (Now I'm a fat not strong guy.  Progress! ) I had to rely on timing.  I never changed a split rim truck tire the whole time.  That was better side-stepped in my estimation.  The store where I did my first stint as an official mechanic there was a tire cage with two of the bars bent out from one of the rims going off during inflation.  It was like that when I got there.  Anyway the managers didn't push it since they could see how slight of build I was.

-MilesAhead (April 27, 2015, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

You may have to remember on your own.  I was a weekend-warrior that happened to be in close contact with professional mechanics at a job I had.
My ground-in dirt came from years of pulling out and rewinding 3" fuel hoses stored on reels... at this job... refueling commercial aircraft.
Timing was the key when wrestling these hoses, not strength and gloves just got in the way.  Sometimes strength is confused with being in shape.
(After that job i never saw 180 again).   :-\

The only 'soaps' I recall using were:
1)  Tide Laundry Detergent; the powder.  (Tide would remind me of any cuts that may need a second look).
2)  Lava; the green bar.  (Lava worked best on dried acrylic paint or slightly dirty hands).

Unfortunately ground-in dirt needs to be ground-out.  Tide + stiff bristled brush = cleaner hands.
Sometimes I would skip the fingernails if i was headed back to the auto-parts store.  A sort of 70s style status symbol.   8)

crabby3:
@Stoic Joker

My choice as well.   :Thmbsup:  Seems to improve with age.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version