ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interested in doing my own car maintenance.. Advice?

<< < (14/18) > >>

Vurbal:
^ Are you talking about Goop?

MilesAhead:
-Vurbal (April 25, 2015, 09:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it looks like solid Crisco then that must be it.  It's been a long time since I had a roll-around toolbox.  I got out of the racket in the 1980s.  I remember it was considered expensive by the management.  So they would substitute this cheap green stuff with abrasive.  Not good during the winter at all.  :)

Vurbal:
-Vurbal (April 25, 2015, 09:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it looks like solid Crisco then that must be it.  It's been a long time since I had a roll-around toolbox.  I got out of the racket in the 1980s.  I remember it was considered expensive by the management.  So they would substitute this cheap green stuff with abrasive.  Not good during the winter at all.  :)

-MilesAhead (April 25, 2015, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Must have been Goop then. I would imagine the other was one of the soft soap Lava type deals. The abrasive would have been pumicite.

Honestly, when it comes to just straight up grease, it's hard to do better than Dawn dish soap. That whole "takes grease out of your way" ad campaign was surprisingly truthful. Not that there's anything, short of an acid bath, capable of getting all the grime off a mechanic's hands - or under their nails.

crabby3:
Anyone remember the name of this mechanic's hand soap?  It came in a can with a blue label.  It looked just like Crisco.  Like a white lard.  Or like the white part of Dannon :fruit on the bottom" yogurt.

It escapes my memory.   :-[

-MilesAhead (April 25, 2015, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe Gojo?

It looked like off-white Crisco and was expensive.  A small can like this, back in the 60s, was around 4 bucks.   :o

MilesAhead:

Anyone remember the name of this mechanic's hand soap?  It came in a can with a blue label.  It looked just like Crisco.  Like a white lard.  Or like the white part of Dannon :fruit on the bottom" yogurt.

It escapes my memory.   :-[

-MilesAhead (April 25, 2015, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe Gojo?
-crabby3 (April 25, 2015, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would have remembered that name once mentioned.  It must have been goop.  I remember it had Lanolin.  That was back before anyone knew how good aloe was.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version