ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interested in doing my own car maintenance.. Advice?

<< < (10/18) > >>

crabby3:
@Mouser

As you will discover, reading about repair and hands-on 'fixing' are totally different.  Mostly more brused or bloody w/ perpetually dirty fingernails.

Maybe you could use some of your auto-repair knowledge to help weed-out the scam-shops and find one or two that need a little IT help?
You have an ace in the hole.   8)

FWIW: Motor's Auto Repair Manual was my bible back in the mid 60s.  Back when the ground was visable while looking under the hood.   ;D

mouser:
Too late to turn back now, i have purchased an obscene amount of tools and materials and will soon be jacking up the car and:

* Changing oil
* Changing the brake pads and rotors
* Flushing tranmsission fluid
* Flushing coolant
* Flushing Transfer case and rear differential fluid
* Flushing brake fluid
* Flushing power steering fluid
* Replacing spark plugs
* Rotating tires
I've watched dozens of youtube videos, read a half dozen books, I'm ready to bond with my car through the experience of learning how to care for it :)

cranioscopical:

* Changing oil
* Flushing coolant
* Flushing brake fluid
* Replacing spark plugs
* Rotating tires
-mouser (April 22, 2015, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
And if you can't get something wrong in that lot you ought to be doing your own maintenance  :huh:

mouser:
And if you can't get something wrong in that lot you ought to be doing your own maintenance
--- End quote ---

i estimate the likelyhood of me breaking something during each procedure at 5%.
unfortunately that puts me at about a 45% likelyhood of needing to have my car towed to a mechanic before i'm through.

crabby3:
Too late to turn back now, i have purchased an obscene amount of tools and materials and will soon be jacking up the car and:

* Changing oil
* Flushing coolant
* Flushing brake fluid
* Replacing spark plugs
* Rotating tires
I've watched dozens of youtube videos, read a half dozen books, I'm ready to bond with my car through the experience of learning how to care for it :)
-mouser (April 22, 2015, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't forget hand-cleaner.  Liquid gallon size with a hand-pump works best IMO.  The cream types tend to liquify when exposed to grease, heat or humidity.

May I suggest Harbor Freight Tools if you're a shop-rag user.  http://www.harborfreight.com/#  You may have a store near you.
Their mail-order shipments used to take forever.  When i used them the choices were next-day, second-day and Conestoga.  :-\

------------------------

I presume you have an alternate form of transportation?  Like if you forgot to get something you need for 'this' repair.
Or the parts you bought don't fit your model.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version