ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vivaldi, the new Web browser for power users

<< < (10/12) > >>

brahman:
I actually like Vivaldi and have been using it as my backup pretty much since it was in alpha. I think it has come a long way and I like the concept. I am still sometimes using the old pre Chrome Opera but it is not working that well anymore.

Two things that I cannot figure out:

1.)I have my windows taskbar on top and on autohide. Vivaldi is the only app that when I move the mouse cursor up, won't let the taskbar come out of hiding.

2.) I want to start a new tab when I put in a new url, but it always overwrites the tab which is already open. At least with the old opera I could do a Ctrl-Enter and it would open the URL in a new tab, but in Vivaldi I could find no option for it.

MilesAhead:
I actually like Vivaldi and have been using it as my backup pretty much since it was in alpha. I think it has come a long way and I like the concept. I am still sometimes using the old pre Chrome Opera but it is not working that well anymore.

-brahman (July 13, 2016, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still have Opera x64 v. 12.x installed.  Sometimes it plays flash video better than all my other new browsers, slimjet, firefox etc..

2.) I want to start a new tab when I put in a new url, but it always overwrites the tab which is already open. At least with the old opera I could do a Ctrl-Enter and it would open the URL in a new tab, but in Vivaldi I could find no option for it.

--- End quote ---

Have you tried Alt Enter?  Most browsers now seem to open a new tab from the addressbar with that shortcut.  I don't have Vivaldi on my machine to try any of the key combinations.  I am struck now at how slowly all the browsers come up.  The only one I have that snaps open is SlimJet.  I remember what a dog Netscape 7.x was when it was first released.  The thing that made me try to live with Vivaldi was the fast startup.  But there were just too many frustrations for me to deal with.

On the Taskbar thing are you running Vivaldi maximized?  You might try sizing it to leave a small gap at the top so that the desktop can sense the mouseover.  I don't know if it will make a difference.  It is just a guess.

brahman:
Thank you, MilesAhead.

Both of your tips were a winner. :)

MilesAhead:
Thank you, MilesAhead.

Both of your tips were a winner. :)
-brahman (July 13, 2016, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Glad they worked out.   :up:

tomos:
Featured on Gizmo's techsupportalert today, (with very little info)

A New Browser To Rival The Best Of Them

recently updated to 1.7

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version