ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vivaldi, the new Web browser for power users

<< < (7/12) > >>

allen:
I remember when Chrome first came out, I wasn't very impressed by it. But after a while it showed significant improvement and I gradually made the shift from Firefox to Chrome as my primary browser.

Maybe Vivaldi will follow a similar pattern.
-Deozaan (May 28, 2015, 11:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had a pretty similar experience with Chrome. Vivaldi also has its roots in old Opera going for it.

MilesAhead:
Speaking of Chrome.. I'm trying out the 64 bit version now.  Loading FastDial etc..

So far it seems fairly spiffy.

xtabber:
Vivaldi seems to have finally emerged from beta today with Vivaldi.1.0.435.40.

It has some nice features, but is missing some very important ones. Among other things, it provides almost no privacy options beyond clearing cookies. Unlike the Chromium based Opera browser, there is no setting to clear cookies on exit or any means for managing cookie policy exceptions by site.  That makes it a non-starter for me.

Update: the Vanilla Cookie Manager extension (from the Chrome store) provides the functionality I need for managing cookies on a site specific basis, although it doesn't clear automatically on exiting the browser.

nite_monkey:
I just installed it, and for me, it isn't usable. I have three monitors, and like to drag a tab from one monitor to the next. In Chrome, FF, and IE, I could have multiple tabs open in one browser window, and then drag one of those tabs to another monitor, and it would just move over there. with Vivaldi, the only way I have found that I can drag a tab to one of my other monitors, is by right clicking on it, and selecting move to new windows. However, when I do that, it reloads the tab. This isn't not good when I am watching a Youtube video, and want to move it to a different monitor so that I can have the video play in the background and focus on something else, because it will just restart the video.

Edvard:
Well, I must say that opening the thing is much faster.  The Vivaldi beta took forever to open.  Also, it looks like they removed the 'Email' link from the left-hand toolbar.  I wonder if they're abandoning the browser+email approach that made Opera unique, or if they figure most email is browser-based anyway, so...

It has some nice features, but is missing some very important ones. Among other things, it provides almost no privacy options beyond clearing cookies. Unlike the Chromium based Opera browser, there is no setting to clear cookies on exit or any means for managing cookie policy exceptions by site. 
-xtabber (April 06, 2016, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Lack of policy exceptions per site is rather annoying, but if enough users poke at the devs with requests for it, I bet it will happen.  Clearing cookies on exit: it looks like there's a setting for 'Accept Cookies -> Session Only'.  I tried it, and it works as it says, just don't leave the setting to open tabs from your last session, or you'll get back all the cookies from the last site you were at.

with Vivaldi, the only way I have found that I can drag a tab to one of my other monitors, is by right clicking on it, and selecting move to new windows. However, when I do that, it reloads the tab. This isn't not good
-nite_monkey (April 06, 2016, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't habitually snap off tabs, but it's useful when I need it. Yep, this is annoying.

I also can't watch embedded videos on many sites, which is even more annoying.  So, as promising as Vivaldi is, I agree it still falls just a bit short at the moment.  I will still keep an eye on it, and turn in bug reports as they are called for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version