ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vivaldi, the new Web browser for power users

<< < (4/12) > >>

clippingpath:
Can I use it safely?

Curt:
Can I use it safely?
-clippingpath (March 10, 2015, 12:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
^no, not yet.

Innuendo:
Power users want add-ons. Power users need add-ons. Do *not* build a browser that has all the gee-whiz functionality built in. Power users will not use that.

Give me a bare framework built for speed and let me add the features I want through add-ons. I will have the functionality I want without a whole bunch of features I don't want or need slowing me down. I will decide what add-ons are making my browser too slow and I will decide which ones give me enough functionality that it's worth a small price in speed in return.

If the Vivaldi devs don't understand this then they are just building Opera: The Next Generation.

MilesAhead:
If the Vivaldi devs don't understand this then they are just building Opera: The Next Generation.
-Innuendo (March 12, 2015, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what it sounds like.  Kitchen Sink City Sequel.  :)

TaoPhoenix:
I will give Vivaldi a try. I really liked Opera 12, but despise the new O-Chromium with a passion. It made me go to WaterFox and different other programs Never liked the way Chrome and all Chromium based browsers (including the new Opera)sends information behind your back.
-rxantos (March 08, 2015, 09:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
But this new Vivaldi browser is using the WebKit/Blink rendering engine, the same as Chrome is using, doesn't that bother you?
-Ath (March 09, 2015, 02:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's an interesting separation going on here.

I have no particular interest in the back end engine. While way back in the day it I learned Firefox for the early browser freedom philosophy, they long since torched that. So now it's all front end UI for me. And most of what I use Palemoon (FF spinoff) is just the layout of where the features are. So for example if someone made a plugin that adds a Palemoon/old FF type second UI then I would switch because you'd get all the basics where you know them and then all the cool new toys on top.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version