ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vivaldi, the new Web browser for power users

<< < (2/12) > >>

eleman:
Aren't the vast majority of power users hooked on add-ons? How will they switch to a new browser? I honestly can't, without at least 8 add-ons I consider must-have also making the jump.

allen:
I've loved Opera since the 90's, and was quite saddened by its move to Chromium. As you can imagine, I am excited to follow the Vivaldi story but if I'm being completely honest, I'm quite skeptical it'll go anywhere. The first two releases were in close succession, but it's been quiet since...

Aren't the vast majority of power users hooked on add-ons? How will they switch to a new browser? I honestly can't, without at least 8 add-ons I consider must-have also making the jump.
-eleman (March 09, 2015, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have a few I cannot live without as well... Vivaldi is by no means ready for prime time (It doesn't even support bookmarklets yet). But much is coming, if it's coming. :)

We want to build a powerful, feature packed browser to minimize your need for extentions. They can impact browser performance and increase security risks. Still, we understand you might want more, so extension support is coming. Stay tuned.
--- End quote ---

cyberdiva:
I too have a number of add-ons I can't do without (e.g. Lazarus, Last Pass, Linkman Fox).  A browser on which I can't use Lazarus, Linkman, and Last Pass is of little use to me.  Add-ons were one of the features that made me switch from Opera to Firefox, though now I'm rather disenchanted with both.  Fortunately, as I became more and more frustrated with Firefox, I tried Pale Moon, and I found that I could install in Pale Moon all the add-ons I had valued in Firefox.  Pale Moon is now my primary browser, though I still have Firefox (36.0.1), Opera (12.17), and IE 11, in part for testing purposes.   As a software enthusiast, I often can't resist trying new programs that sound appealing, but in its present form, Vivaldi doesn't sound all that interesting to me.  The good news is that it's being created by some of the folks who created Opera, which was in many ways a great browser.  The bad news is that Vivaldi is being created by some of the folks who created Opera, who stubbornly resisted add-ons.  Of course, Opera had many features built in that were possible in other browsers only via add-ons, and perhaps the Vivaldi team will apply some of that same ingenuity to the new browser. 

Bending_Unit:
The bad news is that Vivaldi is being created by some of the folks who created Opera, who stubbornly resisted add-ons.  Of course, Opera had many features built in that were possible in other browsers only via add-ons, and perhaps the Vivaldi team will apply some of that same ingenuity to the new browser.  -cyberdiva (March 09, 2015, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well the new Team is not locked in the ways of the old team. AddOns will come. They are talking to the users. They are communicating changes. This is a whole new show and i have high hopes for it.
Also not relying on AddOns for most important features is actually why i will love this browser as i did the old Opera. AddOns become abandoned. Or you might need to wait for an update after a browser update. I understand why people might love updates and i use some in other browsers too but i will feel far more "secure"  with builtin features.

MilesAhead:
Well the new Team is not locked in the ways of the old team. AddOns will come. They are talking to the users.
-Bending_Unit (March 09, 2015, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used Opera 8.52 for a long time.  I liked that it did most of what I wanted out of the box.  But I noticed an intolerance to rational suggestions on the forum.  When I conjectured that an AutoCopy might be better than quadruple clicking the mouse to copy some text to clipboard I thought they were going to put me on America's Most Wanted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version