ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vivaldi, the new Web browser for power users

<< < (8/12) > >>

tomos:
it looks like they removed the 'Email' link from the left-hand toolbar.  I wonder if they're abandoning the browser+email approach that made Opera unique, or if they figure most email is browser-based anyway, so...
-Edvard (April 09, 2016, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

from ghacks:
Vivaldi Technologies has big plans for the browser. Jon von Tetzchner had this to say about the future of the browser.

"Moving forward we will continue to focus on end user requests. As part of that we will be providing a full mail client. Advanced Internet users continue to use many mail accounts and we feel that there is a significant hole in the market there. But generally we will continue to improve and innovate, based on end user demand and requirements."
--- End quote ---
[my emphasis]

MilesAhead:
I cannot find a guide to clicks for the Fast Dial.  Right click gives me the menu so I can open, open in background tab, open in foreground tab.  But there is no info how to do it with mouse clicks directly.. sans menu.

By experimentation I have it, left click replaces start page with the site clicked.  Control left click opens sit in new Window.  Shift left click opens site in new background tab.

But I have not hit on the combination to open the site in a new foreground tab.  I tried Alt click, control shift click, shift alt click etc..

Only the tedious right click then left click on Open in New Foreground Tab seems to do it.  Anyone know the secret?

Edit:  Shift Middle Click seems to do it.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
This sure has its quirks.

Bookmarks Bar, folder, no "open all in tabs"

In page search I backspace out from the end of the search string, it activates the back button and closes the browser altogether.  Really weird.  That's the type of thing I would expect to get in Netscape 1.0.

MilesAhead:
I recommend using the 32 bit snapshot.  You can search using the address line, hit alt enter, to get results in a new foreground tab.  Also when opening multiple tabs in the background, the tabs fill with data.  The page is still blank when you first switch to the tab.  But since the data is already downloaded the fill is snappy.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep the SearchBar extension I added.  I like the idea of it.  But it does seem a bit flaky.  It looks like they are getting there though.  If only they would supply command line switch documentation and/or settings we want but they don't think we need.  :)

Edit:  For those considering trying the snapshot, I installed to a different folder so as not to overwrite the 64 bit stable I already had.  When the snapshot came up it picked up my dials, bookmarks and extensions.   :Thmbsup:

Edit2:  This does react to the chromium command line switch "--renderer-process-limit"
I have tried various settings from --renderer-process-limit=4 to =10  It seems like for 4 tabs or so it is pretty spiffy.  But trying to open 8 tabs really bogs it.  Of course I am only on a Laptop with 4 GB ram.  Your mileage may vary.  At least on my system running more that 4 or 5 tabs I am probably in a more stable situation using Firefox.  It will be interesting to see where Vivaldi is in 6 months.

Edit3:  The consensus on the Vivaldi for Windows Forum is that the lastest snapshot is flaky and slow.  They say backing off to the previous snapshot is a very good idea.  I am downloading it now.

tomos:
^ following with interest :) :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version