ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vivaldi, the new Web browser for power users

<< < (6/12) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

I just glanced at it ... still too minimalist. It's rapidly becoming for me that Palemoon is the browser to beat, and once you have something that works, other newcomers stack against it.

Renegade:
I just glanced at it ... still too minimalist. It's rapidly becoming for me that Palemoon is the browser to beat, and once you have something that works, other newcomers stack against it.
-TaoPhoenix (March 16, 2015, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

How is Palemoon for CPU usage? I find that Firefox is simply a CPU hog and untenable for me, so I only use it very rarely.

TaoPhoenix:
-TaoPhoenix (March 16, 2015, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

How is Palemoon for CPU usage? I find that Firefox is simply a CPU hog and untenable for me, so I only use it very rarely.
-Renegade (March 16, 2015, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh just for you Renny, I'll put a little rhetorical spin on this one!

By using Trandesk (Only at DonationCoder.com!) as an example of a desktop splitter, I have Task Manager permanently running with that little green CPU usage indicator.

In horribly unscientific fashion, I can't do cross browser tests because the other ones are all tainted with that hijacker thing and I can't bring myself to do the work to ferret it out.

Meanwhile, back under the Pale Moon light, (which was the only browser that didn't get eaten by that thing!), an important case is if you browse flash streamer sites because then it does get dragged down by plugin container and related stuff.

Meanwhile the rest of the time it doesn't seem to use too much, except erratically when scrolling some pages. I think some of that can be mitigated the more blockers you have, but it's not clear.

Mouser, maybe you want to split this off and do a Pale Moon thread?

Then Renny you can give me a couple of sites that are among the reasons you don't like "FF Branded" and I can review them. When it's not annoying Skwire, my machine is just middle line 1st gen Kentsfield quad core with 2Gb ram, aka not a gaming screamer to skew the results.

(What? You think my DeLorean with a flux capacitor is what's making it so fast?! hehe)

allen:
...Vivaldi is getting better. Still not my main browser, but it's fairly usable; perhaps even promising. Not entirely intuitive but it's possible to install Chrome extensions. That helps.

Deozaan:
I remember when Chrome first came out, I wasn't very impressed by it. But after a while it showed significant improvement and I gradually made the shift from Firefox to Chrome as my primary browser.

Back when Google Chrome launched, I downloaded the beta, played with it for a few minutes and promptly uninstalled it. Dismissing it as pointless and redundant (not to mention not nearly as good as Firefox).

Recently I found out my brother uses Chrome and I asked him why and he mentioned a couple of things that got me interested in trying it again: It launches faster than Firefox and each tab runs in its own process so if one tab crashes it doesn't bring down the entire browser.-Deozaan (July 14, 2009, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe Vivaldi will follow a similar pattern.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version