topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nice essay on the Prisoner's Dilemma Tournaments  (Read 5145 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Nice essay on the Prisoner's Dilemma Tournaments
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:38 PM »
I remember one of the first things that got me truly interested in artificial intelligence as a young kid was talking with my father about a Scientific American article on the "Prisoner's Dilemma" with my father.
It's a wonderfully rich and accessible mathematical/game-theory problem, made all the more exciting by the idea of having these tournaments that pit different strategies against each other.

https://egtheory.wor....com/2015/03/02/ipd/

Screenshot - 3_3_2015 , 8_37_42 PM_thumb001.png

And another more recent interesting discussion: http://www.scientifi...tion-into-question1/

Found on: http://researchblogging.org/

rxantos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nice essay on the Prisoner's Dilemma Tournaments
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:16 PM »
A lot of oversimplification. It assumes that what drives an organism is only its rewarding itself.

For most the nearby pack is as important as themselves. They are your family. Thus your reward is having a stronger family.

Assume the classical prisoner dilemma:
If A and B decided not to talk, then A and B gets 1 year of other charges.
If A and B decided not to talk, then A and B get 10 years.
If A decides to talk, and B does not A gets free, B gets 20
If B decides to talk, and A does not B gets free, A gets 20

But what if your organization is important to you? Or what if deciding to talk means that you will get wacked by the other members of the organization? In real life this happens.

If your son is going to go to jail and you can prevent it by taking the blame? Many people will choose to help their son. The survival of the fittest model is flawed, as it does not take into account that not all that drives a living being is their own survivability. Sometimes the survivability of those around you (aka your family) means more to you.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:07 AM »
^ I think the point of the tournament is with iterations, and not single-shot strategies.

Instead of thinking of "years in prison", the point is to think in terms of X negative consequences and "defection" (the term used for the problem).
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:14 AM »
No one is claiming this is capturing all of the complexities of real life -- this is a very simplified model that has provided a surprisingly fertile and fascinating playground for research into some important issues.  That's how science works :)