ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

No more Filehippo for me

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
It is difficult for me to describe just how disappointed I am with Filehippo and SUPER/eRightSoft.

We knew that the eRightSoft homepage author was a blithering idiot, because he made it impossible for visitors to find where to download the company's product: SUPER. But that was why Filehippo was (not is) the place to go, if you wanted to download the otherwise fine SUPER converter. On Filehippo it is easy to find where to download SUPER, so that's where we went.

And as usual Filehippo would supply a clean file, wouldn't they.
No, they won't! They would, but they won't!!

I want to tell you the story, but I need to say upfront that Opera was installed without my acceptance!  :o

Of course I was soon aware that this has become adware:

"Okay, I know how to unselect", I thought, and went on installing.

Notice, there is no [X] (no red Exit -button), but "Close" is spelled & greyed out
and moved to the lower left corner, (where "Close" never is situated in Windows)
and normal installation is now custom installation for experts only,

also, this picture is misleading, because all extra programs were pre-selected by default
(before I realized I needed to take some screenshots):

^ Did you notice that Opera will "be SUGGESTED"

--------

These warnings came during installation, when I unselected the extra offers:
"You removed a program. This will affect your computer. Abort?"
What would you click here? The answer is not OK...

My PC might not be infected, it is infected! (Yes, by this application!)

^ This Uniblue program is called "Speed Up", so I tried to be speedy, but I was too slow:
Even though I clicked Decline
(can you even find the "Decline" -button?)
half of Speed Up  and all of Opera  were installed!!!

This was too much for me; it is not acceptable behaviour, even from greedy, blithering idiots.

In my old-fashioned mind Filehippo should be above this. But on the contrary, Filehippo is the central part of it.
No more Filehippo for me!  :mad:

mouser:
Thanks for warning the rest of us  >:(

skwire:
FileHippo moved to bundled installers >:( :down: >:( (and a new site design :mad:) some time ago.  Sad, really, as their site was beautifully laid out and easy to work with.

Renegade:
I'm not surprised. The market has been overcrowded for a long time, and running a site takes serious effort. Ad revenues are crappy, and at some point these things creep in. The problem is similar for a lot of software authors.

Curt:
FileHippo moved to bundled installers -skwire (March 06, 2015, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

^the tech term may be different, probably "Web installer"? "Web download & install manager"? I don't remember.

The "web" point being that (besides SUPER) it will offer you some different programs, next time you run the same SUPERsetup.exe again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version