ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DuckDuckGo as viable Open Source builder

<< < (2/3) > >>

dantheman:
Just installed StartPage plugin for FARR and it is working fine. Just as good as DDG for sure!
But, not as quick as Bing desktop search app.
It's okay.

Renegade:
I've tried it personally, and it's been brought up here before.  I stopped, because the results and such just weren't as good for me... as well as the fact that the extension had problems in Chrome at least on my computer.
-wraith808 (March 06, 2015, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Almost exactly the same for me. It's my default engine in Chrome, but I use Opera mostly, and can't set DDG as my default there, and the plugin UI sucks (needs an extra click).

allen:
Love DDG... took a bit to get used to it, but once I switched, there was no looking back. It has been years now and I couldn't be happier with it. When its results won't suffice, and there are such occasions, they make it real easy to look elsewhere. !g to turn the search over to google, !images for images, etc. Seamless.

I still haven't gotten used to the goofy name.

But then, I never cared for "Google" or "Bing" either. I'm getting old, I just don't like search engine names anymore... Web Crawler and Lycos. Those were good names.

MilesAhead:
I have to admit I like the mess of search icons when I hover the mouse on the searchbar in FF 36.  But it seems a pain to add search engines.  The DDG AddOn doesn't want to play nice with it.  It worked on 35.x.  Maybe they will fix it.

Edit:  DDG+ AddOn seems to work now.  Also I like the 100 search engines search tool.

Attronarch:
Why not use IxQuick/Startpage? I find it to be satisfying trade-off between privacy and search results. Although a lot has been done to improve DDG, I still get better search results from Startpage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version