topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Beyond Plastic: 3D Printers Are Now Printing Metal, Wood, Even Electronics  (Read 1852 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
In a word... WANT!

http://motherboard.v...utm_source=mbtwitter

The challenge with 3D printing isn't the machine, it's the materials.

If you've used one of the current generation of desktop 3D printers, you'll have noticed there's a limit to what you can make: If you’ve always wanted a small, personalised model in cheap plastic, you're in luck, but that’s about it.

That's set to change as 3D printer makers look to expand the available materials. At CES, Makerbot announce​d that by the end of this year it would offer composite materials of bronze, maple wood, and iron, while a host of projects are printing in new materials such as fake wo​od and carbon​ fiber.

One company at the forefront of this push is Vo​xel8, with its product based on the material science work of Harvard University res​earcher Jennifer Lewis. The Voxel8’s Direct Write 3D printing technology pushes out “viscous paste” at room temperature using pneumatic or volumetric systems.

“It's effectively pushing paste out of syringes,” co-founder Daniel Oliver told me. “The interesting thing with Direct Write is it expands the materials pallet, so it allows you to print out a large number of different materials on a similar hardware platform and has a wider band of materials it's able to print than frankly any other 3D printing technology I'm aware of.”​

Its first printer, which costs $8,999, uses thermoplastic as well as conductive silver ink, letting you print electronics—Voxel8 likes to show off a fully-functioning quadcopter that was almost entirely printed in one go (the blades need to be attached separately).

More at the link.

But printing electronics? Cripes! That is wicked cool. 8)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker