ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Twitter is less anonymous for TOR users

(1/1)

wraith808:
Tor Users Must Now Provide A Phone Number To Open A New Twitter Account

I understand the intent and reasoning behind it... but it seems that yet again, a few bad apples 'cause' the erosion of privacy for the masses.

TaoPhoenix:
Tor Users Must Now Provide A Phone Number To Open A New Twitter Account

I understand the intent and reasoning behind it... but it seems that yet again, a few bad apples 'cause' the erosion of privacy for the masses.
-wraith808 (March 03, 2015, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't get the reasoning behind it.

Not beyond the four surface levels.

The whole point of Tor is to give users a chance to do stuff anonymously. If they have to give a phone number to Twitter, which any agency can pull, then they've sunk their entire purpose of using Tor.

"Oh boo hoo, you have some abusive users".

No.

This is just another cute step to make sure the little people are tracked and those in power just trade favors as VIP's.

Stoic Joker:
Is there any reason why they couldn't just use a burner phone for the account signup and then toss it? If the phone isn't required for subsequent logins then it really isn't accomplishing anything ... It's just security theater.

wraith808:
Is there any reason why they couldn't just use a burner phone for the account signup and then toss it? If the phone isn't required for subsequent logins then it really isn't accomplishing anything ... It's just security theater.
-Stoic Joker (March 03, 2015, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've had unwelcome experiences with Google where, down the line, they ask for verification of some piece of information in order to validate the security of the account.

I wouldn't put it past them at some point in the future, even if you don't have to use it to log in all the time, they did something to validate it.

Renegade:
-Stoic Joker (March 03, 2015, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

In many countries you cannot get a phone without ID. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version