topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need SSL Certificate Recomendations  (Read 6731 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need SSL Certificate Recomendations
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:48 PM »
Greetings
   I've been using a Start.com/Start SSL for our Exchange server, but the renewal process is a nightmare. I really don't have time to waste gathering up and submitting a bunch of prove it's me/us documentation every time the cert expires. Is suffering through these types of shenanigans "normal" for SSL cert renewal?? Or is there some place that I can just pay a renewal fee and get the damn thing extended.

Why does everything to do with SSL have to suck so ridiculously hard?? I swear they had to have been created by the DMV!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need SSL Certificate Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:14 AM »
I can only commiserate -- the ssl certificate renewal process at StartSSL is painful and confusing and feels like it's from an alternate dystopian dimension.. It's still what I use though, because of price.
If you find something better at a reasonable price, let me know.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I can sympathise with the misery of dealing with certificates. Not fun. :(

In reality, it's just a big scam.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Shit. :( I was hoping you guys had a viable alternative. I just don't know what kind of crazy assed hoops the next guy is going to want to put me through. So with my luck -(with SSL)- the odds of going from the frying pan to the fire are ~50/50. I'd love to find one that would issue a 20 year certificate...so I never ever have to suffer through this inane nonsense ever again.

Christ, every time you turn around there is yet another huge gaping assed hole in the damn thing (like the latest Apple/Google 'FREAK' Attack Security Vulnerability). And even on the rare good days the NSA (et al.) has turned it into nothing more than a sad joke anyway.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Self-signed, perhaps? At least you can make these last 10 years...

Or is it for the company and it's clients. Because for internal use only, I wouldn't be bothered too much about makin' me some certificates ;)

(it is bad to make such long lasting ones...I am familiar with the do's and don'ts)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Self-signed, perhaps? At least you can make these last 10 years...

Or is it for the company and it's clients. Because for internal use only, I wouldn't be bothered too much about makin' me some certificates ;)

Agreed there. Self-signed is a good option for internal use - it's what I do. The only thing is that you need to trust yourself. :)

I do get popups in Outlook regarding my cert, but it's not an issue - I just click OK. Also, that only happens once when I start Outlook - it doesn't happen every time Outlook polls for new email.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 06:53 AM »
SS is not an option as this is for public facing production systems. If it was for the internal systems I wouldn't even bother with the annoying theatrical nonsense. It just baffles me beyond reason why everything to do with SSL has to be so god damn complicated. If the point of the certificate is to validate me...then it should trust the me it is validating to renew the silly thing without having to go through a bunch of horse shit to yet again confirm that I am indeed still the me that I was when I was being me last time.

I mean FFS if they can't even trust the validity of their own certificate to ensure that the me that is posing as I is truly the as to be certified me ... Then what good is the damn thing!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Ok... just for laughs...

I'm working on an access security system for a client, and in the documentation they say that users can use the certificate that they provide. :D Mind you, it's supposed to be on a local network, but still...