ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Syntax in Different Programming Languages

<< < (2/3) > >>

x16wda:
I like this one -- no filler just tables showing how small snippets of code would look in different languages.
-mouser (March 26, 2015, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
But no Rexx.  :(

anandcoral:
mouser you are near what I want. http://hyperpolyglot.org/ has the comparison side-by-side.

But it is grouped in similar type of languages but I want any languages side-by-side. Say I know VB and want to convert an VB app in C#. Logic does not depend on any language, just the syntax I need to know when I am stuck. hyperpolyglot is not allowing for VB and C# comparison. That's why I was thinking of making the sheet and having option to hide columns to get two languages side-by-side comparison.

Or may be there is a website as I want in the wilderness.

Regards,

Anand

ewemoa:
Just wanted to mention that I came across the Hyperployglot site again today -- the side-by-side comparison was handy for a particular situation I was investigating :)

f0dder:
How useful is a site like HyperPolyglot, though?

If you're at a proficiency level with the target language that you need to site, will you be able come up with something useful by looking at a cheat sheet? I don't think a"mechanical translation" like that wouldn't end up would result in good code, unless that languages are extremely similar (Java <> C#, for instance).

I think something that would be valuable would be samples of how to write ideomatic code in the target languages (requiring the user to be familiar with basic syntax) - but it's hard to do that with side-by-side comparisons, since different languages tend to solve different problems.

wraith808:
How useful is a site like HyperPolyglot, though?

If you're at a proficiency level with the target language that you need to site, will you be able come up with something useful by looking at a cheat sheet? I don't think a"mechanical translation" like that wouldn't end up would result in good code, unless that languages are extremely similar (Java <> C#, for instance).

I think something that would be valuable would be samples of how to write ideomatic code in the target languages (requiring the user to be familiar with basic syntax) - but it's hard to do that with side-by-side comparisons, since different languages tend to solve different problems.

-f0dder (July 27, 2015, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very well stated, and this is exactly what I was trying to say earlier.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version