ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sorry, Ebooks. These 9 Studies Show Why Print Is Better

<< < (5/8) > >>

zenzai:
In the last maybe five years I have purchased at least ten times as many eBooks as paper books. But each and every time I buy an eBook, I get a little frustrated, even angry!, because I know that if it had been a paper book, someone would inherit it after my death, but no-one will be getting the virtual books.

-Curt (March 03, 2015, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why not? Put them on a DVD, box it, and place it on the bookshelf. ;)
-zenzai (March 03, 2015, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

DRM and changing formats is one reason.
-wraith808 (March 03, 2015, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, yea DRM and lack of conversion options is a stopper.

wraith808:
In the last maybe five years I have purchased at least ten times as many eBooks as paper books. But each and every time I buy an eBook, I get a little frustrated, even angry!, because I know that if it had been a paper book, someone would inherit it after my death, but no-one will be getting the virtual books.

-Curt (March 03, 2015, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why not? Put them on a DVD, box it, and place it on the bookshelf. ;)
-zenzai (March 03, 2015, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

DRM and changing formats is one reason.
-wraith808 (March 03, 2015, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, yea DRM and lack of conversion options is a stopper.

-zenzai (March 05, 2015, 04:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, to be fair, there are conversion options for the main DRM (not sure about the others, as I don't have any DRM'd books other than from Amazon and Barnes and Noble)

J-Mac:
I love printed books! And I own a good many of them. I also own several hundred ebooks - actually I think I'm almost up to 1,000 ebooks. Several hundred printed books.

Many of the printed books I own are old and out-of-print. Those aren't available in electronic format for the most part. All of my printed books that also have ebooks available, I also own the ebooks. It’s the best of both worlds! While I love to sit in my easy chair and curl up with a big old printed book - I have hundreds of really neat bookmarks! - I also love - even a bit more perhaps - the ability to open the ebook version on my computer and copy a reference or a favorite passage. Or print out the next few chapters I want to read so I can take it with me to places where I don’t have digital access and I do not wish to carry a few big books around with me.

I guess I'm old enough to still love a good hardbound book and yet also love the convenience of having digital access, particularly for the same books.

Jim

Innuendo:
For reading novels, I prefer even my wife's inferior (compared to a dedicated ereader) 7-inch Android tablet to dealing with a book.-Vurbal (March 03, 2015, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Vurbal, what makes it inferior? The hardware or the software experience? Not much you can do about the hardware except lay out money for a new tablet, but if it's software then there are many, many different ereading apps available. It's just a matter of finding the right app that does the things you want.

Innuendo:
I originally came in here to make the point that I'd rather have 1,000 ebooks in my pocket than try to move 1,000 physical books across town or across the country. However, it now occurs to me the digital format also has to be quite the boon for students, especially college students. Each class text book is usually quite massive and sometimes being able to do a Ctrl-F to find something is a lot quicker than what you'd have to do with a physical volume.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version