ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sorry, Ebooks. These 9 Studies Show Why Print Is Better

<< < (2/8) > >>

wraith808:
I feel like I'm destroying something when I write in a paper book. But in a digital book I feel free to make all the notes and highlights I want. Not only am I no longer restricted by margin space, but I also won't lose my notes due to the book getting worn out and/or destroyed.
-Deozaan (March 02, 2015, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

This.  Very much this.  And the sound of opening a book to make it comfortable to read disturbs me.  It sounds like the binding is cracking.  And in some cases that's exactly what's happening.  But if I don't go to that extent, it's hard to read.

TaoPhoenix:
I prefer digital for reading and especially for making notes.

I feel like I'm destroying something when I write in a paper book. But in a digital book I feel free to make all the notes and highlights I want. Not only am I no longer restricted by margin space, but I also won't lose my notes due to the book getting worn out and/or destroyed.
-Deozaan (March 02, 2015, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I buy a book, (barely skipping DRM rants here), it's MINE. It's not meant for resale. So it's mine to underline, fold a few pages down, get pizza grease on page 76, rip the back page to trade phone numbers, and insert pages of matching notes. The only difference between pencil underlines and highlighting is "dialect". Plus it just feels like if I am serious about reading it, it doesn't need to "fight" other things on the tablet. If you're going to read it that day, you bring it along. Then you put it back on the table when you get home.

wraith808:
It's a matter of differences in what people view as the 'respect' due to a book.  Deo wasn't saying that anyone else is doing anything wrong (at least if I read it right, and from what my feelings are on the subject), it's just a subjective difference and a subtle nuance in the way that one views books.  And after working in libraries and bookstores, I tend to view the physical things as valuable beyond my use now.

elvisbrown:
Ha Ha...try reading The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton in a real book....it is about 850 pages and weighs about 200 lbs....and when you are about a third or quarter of the way through and your wrist bone finally snaps....then try finding your page again while repeating this mantra, "These 9 Studies Show Why Print Is Better"

If a story is any good it will transcend the medium. If you cannot get beyond the medium you are not a reader!

Curt:
In the last maybe five years I have purchased at least ten times as many eBooks as paper books. But each and every time I buy an eBook, I get a little frustrated, even angry!, because I know that if it had been a paper book, someone would inherit it after my death, but no-one will be getting the virtual books.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version