ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sorry, Ebooks. These 9 Studies Show Why Print Is Better

<< < (7/8) > >>

wraith808:
Well, the difference in that approach is the fact that when you purchase a DVD and/or a CD, on the physical media, you have the digital media.  It's just a different mode of distribution.

Books don't have that advantage.  And I think that's one of the reasons they started offering physical media with digital- they'd rather give it to you in their format than you ripping it and getting it in a format they can't control.

tomos:
Well, the difference in that approach is the fact that when you purchase a DVD and/or a CD, on the physical media, you have the digital media.  It's just a different mode of distribution.

Books don't have that advantage.  And I think that's one of the reasons they started offering physical media with digital- they'd rather give it to you in their format than you ripping it and getting it in a format they can't control.
-wraith808 (March 09, 2015, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

yeah, I dont see it happening - would be nice though...

CWuestefeld:
The reference book bit really hit home with me, so true.  It is a painful experience.  However, I do have to say that on the flip side, I have found it extremely handy to be able to take screenshots or clip text and such things like that.  Interesting.  I wonder how this will go in the future...how do we marry the two together?
-superboyac (March 09, 2015, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing that I do find pretty useful in this vein is Evernote. I can copy out interesting pieces from various sources, including images, and tag them appropriately. When I want easy access between them, I can just search for the appropriate tag(s) to focus on just those. But I don't want to derail the discussion into note taking (for which there are already a zillion threads around here) - I just mean to acknowledge your point, that the digital realm does have some good solutions in this area.

Nod5:
I still much prefer reading academic articles on paper where it feels more real and i can mark things up.-mouser (March 02, 2015, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I find the ebook experience for reference material - like programming manuals - completely awful. I find that I'm always wanting to flip back-and-forth between pages, and even have multiple books open simultaneously. [---] It seems like this is an experience that ebooks *could* emulate, but I haven't found anything that does so well.
-CWuestefeld (March 09, 2015, 02:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
These are exactly the kind of reasons that made me first write sumatra_earmarks (earmarks!) and later the much better sumatra_highlight_helper (3 color text highlighting! Color dots! Hotkeys to jump to prev/next/first/last highlight in pdf! Color filtered jumps! And with the jump feature the highlights can also function as earmarks!). Caveats: these only work for pdf and djvu documents and with the Sumatra PDF reader (developer version), which however is a great reader. Sumatra supports having multiple copies of the same pdf open in separate windows so it is easy to have two pages of the same book side by side if the screen is large enough.

mouser:
New e-reader Paper display with fast refresh?

https://liliputing.com/2020/04/hisense-q5-is-a-10-5-inch-android-tablet-with-an-e-ink-screen.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version