topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Password problem  (Read 4073 times)

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Password problem
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:50 PM »
This is not earth-shaking, but I thought I'd share it.

I use hotkeyz to open programs and do other things. One task I use it for is to paste a few passwords into various progs. The problem is that the PWs are picked up by CHS and stored. My machine is pretty secure, but in principle this is not ideal.

The ideal solution for me would be, I think, if CHS had hotkeys for specific stored clips, and also the ability to exclude these clips from the history. That creates the problem of where to store them. I guess that would necessitate a PW-protected area of the prog.

Not sure that is practical, but I thought I'd share it.

BW,
Paul

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Password problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:52 PM »
You can tell CHS to ignore capturing clips from certain applications.. might that help?  (it's on the Capture Options tab).
In addition, by default CHS knows not to copy clips maintained by password tools that properly mark sensitive information when copying it to the clipboard -- if you haven't tried one of those tools, I highly recommend them (KeePass is one good free one).

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Thanks, Mouser. You know, I did know about the prog exclusions, but didn't realize I could use it with hotkeyz. I will try that right now.

Yes, I use LastPass for most of my PWs, but Office docs and LP itself require an external solution.

BW,
Paul

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 09:33 PM »
I see that the exclusions have to do with the target program, not the originating program. Only when I put 'metapad.exe" into the exclusions was the PW ignored by CHS. Putting "HotKeyz.exe" did nothing, so that won't work for me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:41 PM »
hmm.. it should work on the originating program that you copy from, but i see now the problem -- hotkeyz is doing that actual pasting into your target program, so when CHS checks to see where the clip came from, it's getting fooled into thinking its from metapad instead of hotkeyz, since the current window is in metapad..  no easy solution i'm afraid..

You could toggle CHS on an off from the system tray -- and i could add a hotkey to quickly do that.. that might be next best solution..

Or perhaps hotkeyz (or another similar program) could be configured to use the security flag when copying info to the clipboard, which would solve the problem as well.

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Thanks again, mouser. I will contact hotkeyz about that security feature. I think that would be a very good solution.

God Bless

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:46 PM »
ut oh. Looks like skynergy.com is defunct. I was afraid of this, as hotkeyz hasn't been updated in several years. Too bad.