ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Solved: Why won't my laptop run Firefox?

<< < (4/9) > >>

Deozaan:
One change was the introduction of SpiderMonkey 24 JavaScript engine! (Exclamation mark because I all along have said, without KNOWING, there were some "Java problems", and now it seems I may have been right.)
-Curt (February 28, 2015, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not to be pedantic, but JavaScript and Java are two very different things. Calling JavaScriptw "Javaw" is like calling hamburgerw "hamw" :)

ewemoa:
Have you tried the browsers that won't run using a freshly created account?

4wd:
You could try Dependency Walker and see what differences there are in system requirements between the version that does work and the later ones.

MilesAhead:
I found this in FF 24.0 release notes

Known Issues

Unresolved
    Firefox 24.0 crashes with the Norton Toolbar. More information. (Also see 917792)
    Unresolved
    If you try to start Firefox using a locked profile, it will crash (see 573369)

Curt:
-thanks, Miles.
However, the problem here is that it's any version younger than version 23 that will launch but not reach the Internet.

---

You could try Dependency Walker and see what differences there are in system requirements between the version that does work and the later ones.-4wd (March 01, 2015, 08:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

My intention was to have Dependency Walker [DW] open the well-working Firefox 23 and create a "before" report, and then uninstall version 23 and install the not-working version 24 - and have DW run the same test again. That was my intention. To my surprise, DW wouldn't even run Firefox 23, other than giving these error messages:

--------

I know nothing, but I am baffled by this. I was expecting version 23 to run smooth and fast because it was opened and handled by DW, but it didn't open at all! (In DW > "Open..." > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe), though it runs fine by itself
 :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version