ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Solved: Why won't my laptop run Firefox?

<< < (6/9) > >>

MilesAhead:
Dependency Walker [DW] ... giving these error messages: (see attachment in previous post)-Curt (March 03, 2015, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

On stackoverflow a user listed the exact same DLLs (as shown in above screenshot), as being named by Dependency Walker as missing. He then installed three OCX files, and voila his problem was gone - even though DW still listed the many DLLs as "missing"! Maybe a coincidence. He never came back to name the OCX files.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17023419/win-7-64-bit-dll-problems

dependency walker is telling me that the following DLLs are missing:

API-MS-WIN-CORE-COM-L1-1-0.DLL
    API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ERROR-L1-1-0.DLL
    API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-L1-1-0.DLL
    API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ROBUFFER-L1-1-0.DLL
    API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-STRING-L1-1-0.DLL
    API-MS-WIN-SHCORE-SCALING-L1-1-0.DLL
    DCOMP.DLL
    GPSVC.DLL
    IESHIMS.DL
-Stack Overflow
--- End quote ---
-Curt (March 03, 2015, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you check via Dir command if the files are there? If they are it could just be a matter that somehow they got unregistered.  If they are COM Dlls you may be able to put them back in use by running
regsvr32 DllName.dll
on each one.  Maybe copy and paste all the dll names into a batch or something along those lines.

Curt:
The listed files are not installed. But should they be?

----------------------
Info:
This 64-bits laptop was given to me "pre-registered" with 32-bits Win 7 PRO installed, without any disc or available key.
And without a disc drive. And only one (1) USB port.

I was very pleased that it also came with Microsoft Office 2010 Professional, which I never have had a copy of before (for longer than a trial). I have a key for MS Office 2003 Standard (and SoftMaker 2012), but I am prepared to go an extra mile or two, to keep MS 2010 Professional.

Which is why I haven't just replaced this 32-bits W7 PRO with the 64-bits Win 7 Home Premium I still have.

MilesAhead:
The listed files are not installed. But should they be?
-Curt (March 03, 2015, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have at least one copy of each on my Windows 8.0 Laptop

----------------------
Info:
This 64-bits laptop was given to me "pre-registered" with 32-bits Win 7 PRO installed, without any disc or available key.

--- End quote ---

I mean "registered" in the COM sense.  If you have COM DLL or OCX files the system doesn't know where to get them unless they are listed in the Registry.  Regsvr32.exe just loads the OCX or DLL and calls the required RegisterServer function.  This puts the entry in the Registry.  But if the files are missing I must assume the dependency checker is finding the call to access them in Firefox.  I forget most of the COM stuff I knew.  But I believe the program uses the Clsid to call QueryInterface to see if a particular COM component supports what it wants to do.  The clsid is looked up in the Registry to find the file to load.  Then the COM component answers it does or doesn't support the requested interface.

Edit:  Never mind.  The Nirsoft product key finder is only for Windows Office.

Edit2: I found this article.  Skip down to the part about the Magical Jellybean Key Finder.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/246040/how_to_find_your_windows_or_office_product_key.html

Edit3:  The first link to Magical Jellybean gets a 404 error.  But the second one works:
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

The free one claims to find product keys for W7 and 8.

4wd:
On stackoverflow a user listed the exact same DLLs (as shown in above screenshot), as being named by Dependency Walker as missing. He then installed three OCX files, and voila his problem was gone - even though DW still listed the many DLLs as "missing"! Maybe a coincidence. He never came back to name the OCX files.-Curt (March 03, 2015, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you try the two VC++ Redistributables mentioned in that thread?

This problem is related to missing the Visual studio "redistributable package." It is not obvious which one is missing based on the dependency walk, but I would try the one that corresponds with your compiler version first and see if things run properly:

VS 2010
VS 2008

I ran into this problem because I am using the VS compilers, but not the full VS environment.
--- End quote ---

Curt:
^ I tried..., but:

so I assumed this couldn't be it.

-----------
I have tested Google's browser; it too will launch, but not go anywhere.
-----------

I forgot to tell that Dependency Walker gave identical results each time I used it to launch Internet Explorer 11, PhotoFiltre Studio X, Sagelight Image Editor, Firefox 23, and Firefox 36. DW was unable to launch any of them, but except from Firefox version 36, they normally don't have any problems.

-various "Run..." via DW
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version