ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Preloaded spyware, courtesy Lenovo

<< < (3/7) > >>

ewemoa:
I overwrite too.  Definitely takes time to set up from installation media first time (e.g. today from W7 SP1, literally had over 130 updates total), but apart from avoiding the questionable content that is preloaded there are a few additional benefits IMHO:

bloat reduction
a somewhat more up-to-date image to restore from and possibly customized more to one's taste
a bit more flexibility regarding use of HDD -- e.g. can use the space reserved for restoration (i.e. onekey) for other purposes

May be others have additional / different reasons for doing likewise?

Steven Avery:
Are you saying that you overwrite their OS with the installation media that comes with the hardware?  
If so, do they supply CDs, or do you burn them, or have another source?  If from Lenovo, these are clean unlike the PCs they sent out?

Just want to have a clearer explanation.
Clearly overwriting with Mint is another story.

Steven

wraith808:
Are you saying that you overwrite their OS with the installation media that comes with the hardware? 
If so, do they supply CDs, or do you burn them, or have another source?  If from Lenovo, these are clean unlike the PCs they sent out?

Just want to have a clearer explanation.
Clearly overwriting with Mint is another story.

Steven
-Steven Avery (February 21, 2015, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, from a corporate standpoint, they have images that they have created that are licensed and install the exact same image onto each category (developer, analyst, etc) of user.

Personally, I don't buy laptops that don't include actual installation media that is certified bare bones windows.  In the case of those that don't provide the same, in many cases they provide computers without the operating system.

Some include restoration partitions that already have the crapware in them.

Of course, I haven't bought a laptop in years... so not sure if it's possible to buy a mainstream without the OS now.  But in that case, you'd have to purchase the OS separately and install it.  I had to do that on my last laptop.

TaoPhoenix:
I've almost always had custom built computers, but the "stock" ones that I've had have really sucked by comparison.
-Renegade (February 20, 2015, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think I stand by this. I am making my own problems with upgrade woes but my current comp is custom built that we did as a project and when it's your buddy building it you know generally there's no weird stuff (initially!) on there.

You don't have to de-construct it in labor-hours what you saved in build dollars.

:tellme:

ewemoa:
-Steven Avery (February 21, 2015, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

In my case, I have purchased separate installation media -- can get a bit expensive, but then these days there are some places that offer the purchase of PCs without a bundled OS.

Didn't mention this earlier, but up through this post I've had notebook PCs in mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version