ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

remote control of pc via android phone

(1/7) > >>

kalos:
hello!

is there a way to control my laptop via my android phone?

I basically want to wake it up from sleeping, browse it as usual, open files, transfer files, perform actions, run and kill programs, etc and then make it sleep again

is that possible?

or the only way to wake up a sleeping laptop is via hardware, eg click the power button or open the lid, etc?

thanks!

4wd:
Fing - Scan network and send WoL (Wake on LAN) packets.
ES File Explorer - Copy/open files on network computers.
Microsoft Remote Desktop - Remote PC access (works better than any other Android remote app I've tried).

You need your laptop set to wake when it receives WoL packets which is usually in the BIOS.

Stoic Joker:
Microsoft Remote Desktop - Remote PC access (works better than any other Android remote app I've tried).-4wd (February 19, 2015, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really?! I've always been a bit to skeptical (to try it) about the screen size making it impossible to do effectively ...(yes I am playing the tiny text/old guy card here)... But you're saying it is actually a viable option?

kalos:
Fing - Scan network and send WoL (Wake on LAN) packets.
ES File Explorer - Copy/open files on network computers.
Microsoft Remote Desktop - Remote PC access (works better than any other Android remote app I've tried).

You need your laptop set to wake when it receives WoL packets which is usually in the BIOS.
-4wd (February 19, 2015, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for this!
but isn't ES File Explorer's purpose already satisfied with Microsoft Remote Desktop ? I mean can't I open/transfer etc files via the latter?

Vurbal:
Microsoft Remote Desktop - Remote PC access (works better than any other Android remote app I've tried).-4wd (February 19, 2015, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really?! I've always been a bit to skeptical (to try it) about the screen size making it impossible to do effectively ...(yes I am playing the tiny text/old guy card here)... But you're saying it is actually a viable option?
-Stoic Joker (February 19, 2015, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm curious about this as well. Back when I had my first Android phone, and app options were significantly more limited, I used a VNC client to remote into my HTPC. It was more convenient than using a keyboard and mouse, but extremely clumsy, and something I used as little as possible. Ironically, I'd expect to have more problems with the Galaxy Note 2 I have now. The screen real estate is more than twice my ancient HTC POS, but the dot pitch is less than half.

Besides readability, I'd be concerned about touch UI precision, or, perhaps more accurately, inaccuracy of the hammers I have in place of normal fingertips. VNC would have been practically unusable without the optical trackpad button on my old POS HTC, and I imagine I would be fine using the active stylus on my Galaxy Note, but I'm hesitant to rely on an app where it's practically a requirement.

I haven't used RDP for several years and multiple generations. Does it (or even just the Android app) still limit you to a preset resolution, or is there a more advanced zoom feature? Perhaps even more importantly for me, since I could probably do practically everything I'd use it for blindfolded, does it provide a touch oriented alternative to the standard RDP hotkeys?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version