ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Destroying your hard drive is the only way to stop this super-advanced malware

<< < (7/9) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Its like a rootkit
--- End quote ---

Seems like the countermeasure would need to be burned in code.  Like the only way to update your controller code would be to physically change out a chip.  I wonder if the military has some scheme already to get around the problem?

-MilesAhead (February 26, 2015, 05:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

They probably do, but they like to play with a full deck of 52 cards and consumers only maybe the spades.

mouser:
A hardware jumper to enable any firmware flashing seems like a great idea for all devices.

superboyac:
A hardware jumper to enable any firmware flashing seems like a great idea for all devices.

-mouser (February 26, 2015, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
hey!  I like that!

Stoic Joker:

--- End quote ---
hey!  I like that!
-superboyac (February 26, 2015, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did too initially, but I don't think it will scale well for data centers that have (SAN) racks full of drives that would then need to be physically touched.

Renegade:

--- End quote ---
hey!  I like that!
-superboyac (February 26, 2015, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did too initially, but I don't think it will scale well for data centers that have (SAN) racks full of drives that would then need to be physically touched.
-Stoic Joker (February 26, 2015, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Class action lawsuit against the NSA to pay for all the technicians that would need to be hired! ;D Great make-work project!  :Thmbsup:

I know... ain't gonna happen, but it's worth a chuckle. I don't even know how many drives are affected. I don't even know what order of magnitude there would be. Billions? Hundreds or tens of millions? Good grief... A lot in any event.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version