ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to use a pantograph for duplication?

<< < (2/3) > >>

4wd:
I've still got an original Sketch-a-Graph from 40+ years ago :)

The above is the Mk. 2 version, the Mk 1 didn't have adjustable pivots, IIRC - I'll have to dig it out from wherever it's hiding.

Here's the Mk 1:

Instructions:

BGM:
Nice!  Thanks for posting that!

bit:
To get same-size outcome, you could either photo-reduce the original you're working from first, or if the photocopier will handle it, photo reduce the size of the final copy.
A great book for learning freehand drawing as an augment to this, is 'Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain'.
Some universities even offer extension classes based on the book.
I think there may also be some youtube vids based on the book.
Even with the book alone, you can learn to self-train with such disciplines and techniques as positive & negative space, and turning things upside-down and attempting to remain non-verbal to force your mind into right-brain mode in order to hand-copy them more faithfully.
A pantograph is a great way to go, and can also act as a mental bridge, to help get you over and across into hands-on freehand drawing, if you ever want to try for it.

BGM:
@bit Hey!  I HAVE that book!  I've read it, and I've taught art too.  There's a lot of true things in that book.

I produce a childrens' magazine and have a section called "Aspiring to Scribe" where I've gone over calligraphy and drawing.
So I wanted to show them how to make a pantograph.
Myself - I've never needed a pantograph.  I can draw anything.  I can draw the pantograph.  I can even draw the pantograph in use!
I just can't draw the pantograph duplicating because I can only get it to enlarge.....  hahhahahhahaaaa

bit:
^@BGM
You must be one good artiste! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version