ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7 update loop

(1/3) > >>

bit:
How do I shut off Windows 7 update?
It's wasting time installing the same update again on every shutdown.

edit: Found it. Tnx anyway.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3419759/how-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows/
quote:
"Thankfully, there's an easy fix for this, here's what you need to do:

1. In Vista and Windows 7, click Start, type Windows Update, and then hit Enter. In XP, head to the Control Panel and seek out Windows Update.

2. Click the Change Settings option at left.

3. Change the setting to Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

4. Click OK.

That's all there is to it. Windows may still nag you about installing updates, but at least it won't reboot without your permission."

Curt:
Go to Start > All Programs > Windows Update > View update history
another address for the same place is: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history

Hide content

Problem:
I keep being offered an update from Windows that I don’t want.

Solution:
You can hide the update, and then Windows Update won't offer it to you again unless you choose to restore it.

Here's how to hide an update:

1) Click to open Windows Update.
2) Do one of the following:

* Click the link that tells you important updates are available if you have important updates to hide.
* Click the link that tells you optional updates are available if you have optional updates to hide.3) Select any update that you want to hide, right-click it, and then click Hide update. Do this for each update you want to hide.

Click OK

--- End quote ---

This way you keep Windows updated  :up: despite the one bugger.

Carol Haynes:
Probably a bad download that can't install properly - why not reset windows update and let windows do the update properly - or else download it and do it manually?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Stoic Joker:
Probably a bad download that can't install properly - why not reset windows update and let windows do the update properly - or else download it and do it manually?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058-Carol Haynes (February 14, 2015, 05:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - Windows updates do on occasion get stuck on a bad File. If you find out which one is looping you can Google it and probably find a few other people with the same problem...and a fix. If not, hide only the problem child...do not disable everything.

Speaking of bad WU behavior, has anyone else noticed Windows suddenly deciding to re-enabled the automatic reboot by itself? I've been on a manual update schedule for years. But this past week - after making none of my own changes - my computer just decided to start rebooting for updates ... All by its evil little self.

dr_andus:
Speaking of bad WU behavior, has anyone else noticed Windows suddenly deciding to re-enabled the automatic reboot by itself? I've been on a manual update schedule for years. But this past week - after making none of my own changes - my computer just decided to start rebooting for updates ... All by its evil little self.
-Stoic Joker (February 14, 2015, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't notice that specifically, but I had to unistall the recent KB3013455 update on XP, as it messed up my fonts (made them all blurry) in Firefox and Chrome: Patch Tuesday: Font Corruption with KB3013455

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version