ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

RAM contact spray?

<< < (4/4)

bit:
^Now that's a new one ... I usually just use one of those large rubber pencil erasers.-Stoic Joker (February 14, 2015, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Back when we were having an argument ... discussion of alternative methods of contact cleaning  :)
-4wd (February 14, 2015, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tnx, your sublinks (and everyone's comments) are hugely informative.  :Thmbsup:
BTW, I've found that an xnlt indicator of whether my RAM is all connecting correctly is to set my disk-burning software to 'verify burn', b/c a 'failure' there is a definite head's-up that the RAM may be generating errors and deserve a full-on memory check.

bit:
Nero Burning ROM told me a disk burn check found errors.
I use that as a 'cue' that there may be ram stick errors.
I ran a Memory diagnostics and sure enough my ram had errors.
Unseated & reseated all four 1-GB ram sticks; mem-check failed again.
Removed the ram sticks one at a time and used the ^paper wipe method and reseated the ram, and mem-check was successful.

BTW, FYI, paper has tooth, that is, a specific grade of roughness that helps it to absorb ink, charcoal, or paint.
I used simple typing paper, which apparently did the trick.
I would recommend avoiding anything really smooth or glossy, such as high quality color printer paper, as the tooth or roughness might be too smooth for good results.

When I was finished wiping each ram stick, there was a streak of discoloration where it had rubbed across the ram contacts and picked up foreign material.

Ath:
^that is exactly as I intended my write-up, earlier. And it resolved the issue! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version