topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Re-usable ToDo lists (possibly using *Checklist DC*?)  (Read 6412 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re-usable ToDo lists (possibly using *Checklist DC*?)
« on: September 28, 2019, 03:05 PM »
I want an app for ToDo lists that would be re-used. They are not recurring in the sense to be done every day or every tuesday -- I would use list xyz simply whenever I'm doing xyz again.

I think Checklist DC is suitable, but I would have a request or two.

Ideally the app would have three levels of hierarchy:
Grandparent
    Parent
        Child

(although I can work around this as suggested here -- include topic name ('Parent' above) in item text, e.g "Warmup - stretch#1").

Important would be quick and easy way of removing all checkmarks (in one group). I dont think this is easily possible in Checklist.

Wonderful would be a way of collapsing the individual nodes (is that the correct term) in the hierarchy (in Checklist, categories would be collapsable). Ideally all the hierarchy would be collapsed and one could expand whichever topic is relevant. This would make it much easier to scroll through all categories.
In Checklist one can scroll horizontally through the categories as tabs, this is quite effective. Maybe I'm just stuck in the traditional scroll down approach -- I do like the fact I would be able to see a lot more in one view.

In Checklist there's a lot of space used for the tabs and to display lists -- below is unusual in that there is often only one sub-item, this is where most space is wasted. I would love it to be more space conscious, more compact.

Screenshot_20190928-195758.pngRe-usable ToDo lists (possibly using *Checklist DC*?)
  • In this example I had used abbreviations for the titles in the hopes the tabs would be narrower.
  • The write/edit icon could be a lot smaller imo
  • Theres a lot of space between each category

I'm open to other suggestions than Checklist (there's very few apps with 'recurring' in the title, I tried Recurlog, it's not bad but aimed at recurring in a once-a-week sense).

Mouser, what do you think of the suggestions for Checklist -- which might be possible?

I'll try and do a mockup of suggestions but cannot currently...
Not sure how helpful this is:

Screenshot - 2019-09-28 , 22_16_26_ver001.jpgRe-usable ToDo lists (possibly using *Checklist DC*?)

some nodes are collapsed.
Tom
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:23 PM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Re-usable ToDo lists (possibly using *Checklist DC*?)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 03:28 PM »
This possibly fairly obvious but one use case of this is when learning something, be it a workflow in a piece of software, or something practical, physical, or any situation where there are multiple steps and it's important to not forget any.

Other use case is simply where you want to work through a list and not have to think have I forgotten x or y.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 10:40 PM »
So some of these requests are doable without much trouble:

Wonderful would be a way of collapsing the individual nodes (is that the correct term) in the hierarchy (in Checklist, categories would be collapsable). Ideally all the hierarchy would be collapsed and one could expand whichever topic is relevant. This would make it much easier to scroll through all categories.

Being able to collapse categories in the "ALL" view would be reasonably easy i think, and not a bad idea at all.

Important would be quick and easy way of removing all checkmarks (in one group). I dont think this is easily possible in Checklist.

Already exists; it's listed as "reset all items in view" under the menu.

The multi-level hierarchy view is substantially more difficult, because my system uses a "tag" system internally, rather than a strict hierarchy.  The benefit includes some flexibility to have items in multiple categories, etc.

What I could try maybe to do is add a kind of ersatz multi-level hierarchy tag system, where the system would look for tags of a specific format, like it might look for a tag whose tag was "Work > Mornings", and it might know that it should not create a tab for that category but instead display that category as a subcategory of the parent "Work" category..

So internally, it's still a flat list of items with tags, but it would display some items as if they were in subcategories.. It's hard to anticipate now if that might get messy in unpredictable ways..  But it's not a terrible idea..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 05:04 AM »
Syncovery creates a hierarchy thus:
Items that start with the same word/letters e.g. "ProjectA xyz" will be shown as subitems of that prefix, here "ProjectA".
I have no idea how that is done...

The three levels would be really nice to have but I can probably live without.

Reset all visible items works well, thanks!
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 03:59 PM »
I want an app for ToDo lists that would be re-used.

I'm not certain it would do what you want - but have you looked at the Android version of Essential PIM (EPIM)?  I think it's free.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 06:08 PM »
I want an app for ToDo lists that would be re-used.

I'm not certain it would do what you want - but have you looked at the Android version of Essential PIM (EPIM)?  I think it's free.
thanks rj,
EPIM seems to only do two levels of hierarchy.
I'll give it a closer look tomorrow.
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 03:11 PM »
On a quick test, Android EPIM can do at least four levels of Tasks below he base level.  I'm using a registered copy of PC-EPIM - don't know if that makes a difference.  I don't remember paying for a copy on Android.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 01:46 AM »
On a quick test, Android EPIM can do at least four levels of Tasks below he base level.  I'm using a registered copy of PC-EPIM - don't know if that makes a difference.  I don't remember paying for a copy on Android.
finally got back to this -- yes, you're correct (can also be done on an unregistered copy). Will try it for a bit :up:
Tom