ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

bandwidth manager

(1/5) > >>

kalos:
hello!

is there a freeware (or if not, payware) that will allocate 75% of the current bandwidth available to a specific device connected to my router?

thanks!

skwire:
Typically, something like that has to be done on the router itself using the router's Quality of Service (QoS) settings.  Keep in mind that not all routers support this and, even when they do, it can be a hit or miss affair.  Also, it's sometimes called Class of Service (CoS).  Good luck.

kalos:
I use UK Sky router
I don't think it offers anything like that
isn't there a software that will mess with its firmware?

skwire:
I use UK Sky router
I don't think it offers anything like that
isn't there a software that will mess with its firmware?-kalos (February 11, 2015, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you asking if you can run an alternate firmware on your router?  If so, I have no idea without a specific router model number to reference.  Do a web search for your router's model number and see if it's supported by DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or Tomato.  I believe those are the top three alternate firmwares out there these days.  However, I don't think most "standard ISP issue" routers are supported, though, so don't be too disappointed if yours is not.

For the record, I have an ASUS RT-N66U router running the Tomato by Shibby firmware.

x16wda:
You can look here to see if the QoS features of DD-WRT might fit your needs. If you think it might, then check here to see if your router is supported.

OpenWRT will likely do similar things and has a slightly different set of supported hardware, though I prefer DD-WRT's interface. I think Tomato tends to have more limited hardware support than either of the others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version