topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LINUX: #! CrunchBang Linux is no more. RIP  (Read 7843 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LINUX: #! CrunchBang Linux is no more. RIP
« on: February 09, 2015, 06:51 AM »
#! is no more.

Woke up this morning to read this sad announcement from Corenominal, the developer - or rather ex-developer - of the popular a alternative distro named CrunchBang Linux.

I have decided to stop developing CrunchBang. This has not been an easy decision to make and I’ve been putting it off for months. It’s hard to let go of something you love.

When I first started working on CrunchBang, the Linux landscape was a very different place and whilst I honestly didn’t know if there was any value to it, I knew there was a place for CrunchBang on my own systems. As it turned out, there seemed to be quite a demand for it on other people’s systems too. I’m not entirely sure why this was the case, but if I had to guess, I would say that it was probably due to the lack of competition/alternatives of the same ilk. If I’m remembering correctly, at the time, there was no LXDE tasksel in Debian and certainly no Lubuntu around. CrunchBang filled a gap and that was nifty.

So, what’s changed?

For anyone who has been involved with Linux for the past ten years or so, I’m sure they’ll agree that things have moved on. Whilst some things have stayed exactly the same, others have changed beyond all recognition. It’s called progress, and for the most part, progress is a good thing. That said, when progress happens, some things get left behind, and for me, CrunchBang is something that I need to leave behind. I’m leaving it behind because I honestly believe that it no longer holds any value, and whilst I could hold on to it for sentimental reasons, I don’t believe that would be in the best interest of its users, who would benefit from using vanilla Debian.

Talking of its users, thank you, you’ve been awesome and you’ve taught me so much, much of which is beyond the scope of this post, but needless to say, I think I’m much wiser now than I was before the existence of CrunchBang and its community of users. I’ve made many friends through the project, which for me, has ultimately been the biggest benefit of the project, and something I’ll be forever grateful for.

I also want to take a few words to thank my wife, Becky, aka bobobex. She has supported me and the project from the outset. Over the years, I’m sure I’ve bored her almost to death with my geeky gobbledygook and she’s never moaned about it once, well, not to me at least. Seriously though, thank you Becky for your support, help and guidance, you’re my rock and I love you.

Regarding what will happen to the CrunchBang forums, they will remain online. Ultimately, they belong to the community and so it will be for the community to decide what happens to them. I’m happy to continue supporting them for as long as need be. I have already expressed my thanks to the forum moderators, privately, but I would like to do so publicly too. Unless you’ve been involved with a project like CrunchBang, I’m not sure you can entirely appreciate the behind-the-scenes work that goes into it. The forum moderators have effectively kept the community running and without them, I’m sure there would not have been a community at all. Over the years, they’ve had to deal with some truly bonkers and poisonous people (seriously, there are some bat-fucking-crazy nutters out there with far too much time on their hands) and they’ve done so with enormous tact, diplomacy and decorum. All the forum mods have my utmost respect, they are an incredible bunch of people.

As for me, while I’m deeply sad to let go of a project that in many ways has defined my existence for many years, but I’m also excited to see what happens next. I’ve got a few little pet projects I want to work on, and I’ve also got a day job that I want to excel at. It’s going to be interesting to see what the future brings.

See you around  :)

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang.

In the wake of this announcement CrunchBang's listing has been removed from Distrowatch. It's community forum will remain up indefinitely according to the developer.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:08 AM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LINUX: #! CrunchBang Linux is no more. RIP
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52 AM »

Yeah, I remarked on this a bit on another thread.

I was saying that it's as if the fertile period when people made new projects in the late 90's / early 2000's is starting to fade as stuff gets consolidated into big players.

https://www.donation....msg375260#msg375260

I have an ancient laptop which is "nearly unusable" that theoretically could have been a crunch-bang candidate, but I really lack any motivation to experiment in that direction with what would be a *fourth tier* machine.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 08:46 AM »
FWIW I've got CrunchBang running on a bunch of tiny old 32-bit PIII Compaq Armada laptops. They work extremely well with CrunchBang. And I tried several other lightweight distros before selecting it for these machines. IMO CrunchBang struck the ideal balance between out-of-box usability and a low resource footprint. And the community surrounding it was great. I will definitely miss !#.
 :(

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Wow, didn't expect that. I have #! installed on my EEE 701 PC, since it was the only one that with my level of knowledge I could install on it. And it runs quite smoothly.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Good luck to the ex-dev! #! will be missed.