ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ReRun 2.5.7.5

<< < (4/8) > >>

MilesAhead:
ReRun 2.5.2.0

I added a bit of error checking and some retries if the window handle is not retrieved successfully.  Also if the icon cannot be inserted in a button it now assumes it is because it is not a conventional exe with the icon resource embedded.  In such cases the button is disabled.  So there will still be the occasional blank button.  But they should be much more rare.

( See first post for download link )

MilesAhead:
Changing one line of code when the Button Panel opens I think I have this much closer to how I envisaged it.  Now a Button for a detected program will not be displayed if the program is running.  The program info will still be saved to file as before.  This has the effect that when you start ReRun before opening the programs that were running when you closed ReRun(such as by shutting down or logging off) the Buttons for the programs running then will be displayed.

A bit wordy but say you have Notepad, Firefox and PCalc running.  Pressing F9 to display the Button Panel should not display any of them that are already running.  Close PCalc, then open the Button Panel.  It's button should be there.  This gets more to the purpose of restarting an accidentally closed program.

The buttons tend to move around a bit.  It may take a little getting used to.  But I think this is much more useful than the way it functioned previously.

If anyone would like to try it please feel free to download the attachment.  I haven't updated the readme yet.  For any who don't know just unzip to any empty folder and run ReRunSetup.exe.  It just extracts either a 32 or 64 bit version of ReRun depending on your OS.  You may have to set the Compatibility Mode to Run As Administrator on W8.

MilesAhead:
v. 2.5.4.0     Added .ini file option ShowNotRunningOnly.  The default is True. When
               this option is True, Buttons for programs will only be shown if the program
               is not currently running.  This is the behavior I had in mind when I started.
               To use the old behavior quit ReRun and edit the .ini file.  Set
               ShowNotRunningOnly=False or =0.

Note that if you open the ReRun Button Panel right after closing a program's
               window, the process may still be hidden in memory as it shuts down.  Closing
               the Button Panel and opening again should produce the expected results.

The new version is available on my site.  See first post for the link.

cranioscopical:
This gets more to the purpose of restarting an accidentally closed program.
-MilesAhead (March 04, 2015, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's a better idea, I think.

With 2540 I get some blank buttons in unexpected slots. Is this what you meant by "The buttons tend to move around a bit."?

At the moment, starting from the right, top, I have 4 blanks, 1 icon, 1 blank, 2 icons.

MilesAhead:
This gets more to the purpose of restarting an accidentally closed program.
-MilesAhead (March 04, 2015, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's a better idea, I think.

With 2540 I get some blank buttons in unexpected slots. Is this what you meant by "The buttons tend to move around a bit."?

At the moment, starting from the right, top, I have 4 blanks, 1 icon, 1 blank, 2 icons.
-cranioscopical (March 05, 2015, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.  It's sort of scatter shot in appearance.  As I create the buttons I check if the exe path exists, the icon and tooltip loaded ok, and if the program is running.  If any of those disqualifies it I just mark it disabled.  I tried keeping the buttons together by decoupling the loop.  But it's too tightly coupled in other places.  Kind of spaghetti code. :)

Plus with this scheme what will show up will vary depending on what is running.  There will always be a few things detected that aren't useful, like Windows Scripting Host.  But I figure with 32 buttons chances are the program or two you close and want back will be pulled into the net.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version