ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Android Apps

WhenLast (Android app) - v2.20 Beta - Aug 20, 2018

<< < (4/16) > >>

cyberdiva:
I asked myself why I was quite content with the way WhenLast looks on my phone in portrait mode, and the answer was the one you gave: reducing the amount of info shown.  I realized early on that I didn't need to know what time a particular action was last performed, so my listings don't show time.  As a result, even on my phone, the info never runs to five lines (as it does in the screenshot Jibz provided).   

I've been very happy with WhenLast.  There were a few occasions when the sync between tablet and phone wasn't complete, but those occasions were quite rare.  On the whole, the app performs beautifully, and I'm finding it very useful.  :Thmbsup:   I'll try to think of features I'd like to see added, but offhand nothing comes to mind.

cyberdiva:
Mouser, some time ago you asked whether we could think of other apps you could create that would make use of the same technology you used in WhenLast.  Let me first confess that I had never used Dropbox before WhenLast.  I was very impressed by how well it worked with WhenLast, so I decided to use Dropbox for another app I use a lot, JotterPadX.  I have it on my tablet, my phone, and my Windows 7 computer (I have it on Windows because that's the way I had been transferring updated files between the tablet and the phone).  I thought I set up all three to sync with Dropbox, but although the syncs supposedly took place, they never seemed to be reflected in the app itself, just in Dropbox.  So, for example, if I update five JotterPadX files on my tablet, the files would also go to Dropbox, but I never saw them in the JotterPadX app on my phone or my desktop.   Does Dropbox normally sync the files so that they appear in all the relevant apps automatically, as they do when I sync files in WhenLast?  If so, then I probably set things up wrong in Dropbox when I tried to add JotterPadX.  However, if this happens in WhenLast only because you created it that way and it doesn't normally happen in Dropbox, then I think you'd have lots of opportunities either to collaborate with developers of existing apps that would benefit from what you did in WhenLast, or to create apps similar to some that already exist but that lack the sync mechanism you've created for WhenLast.  My guess is that I just screwed up when I tried to get JotterPadX to sync via Dropbox, but I thought I'd ask, embarrassing though it is.  :-[

mouser:
Does Dropbox normally sync the files so that they appear in all the relevant apps automatically, as they do when I sync files in WhenLast?  If so, then I probably set things up wrong in Dropbox when I tried to add JotterPadX.  However, if this happens in WhenLast only because you created it that way and it doesn't normally happen in Dropbox, then I think you'd have lots of opportunities either to collaborate with developers of existing apps that would benefit from what you did in WhenLast, or to create apps similar to some that already exist but that lack the sync mechanism you've created for WhenLast.
--- End quote ---

The SYNC feature between machines is specifically coded in WhenLast and is definitely non-trivial.  It is *not* a generic feature of dropbox integration.

What dropbox gets you is the ability to save and load files to your online account.  If an app installed on multiple devices wants to keep sync'd between multiple devices, it has to write some real code to merge changes and keep files synchronized, etc.

mouser:
fyi: currently 51 users of whenlast according to Google Play store.

KynloStephen66515:
Mouser, release a version with less features or ads as a free version and you will add a few 0's to the end of that number, same with your Hotrod panel :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version