ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Update of NirSoft's ZipInstaller

<< < (2/3) > >>

ashecorven:
for portable software, there are several ways of handling the 'install' process, indeed often just an unzip/create shortcut(s)
-Ath (February 04, 2015, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is exactly what ZipInstaller is for (not just portable apps though), it's a quick installation process that adds an entry into Programmes & Features. Programmes installed this way have always worked even for quite large installations like the full cmder, however the entry in Programmes & Features may not be correct (see original post).

MilesAhead:
I'm curious why the utility has not been kept up to date.  It seems like a cool idea.  I wonder if 64 bit stuff coming on has complicated things, along with the Programs and Features etc..

I remember for a time a version of InstallShield or a similar installer maker came with Borland Delphi.  It was fairly simple.  You made a folder hierarchy how you wanted the stuff on disk and it made the installer with shortcuts for the start menu.  It seems like something that an Inno tool should be able to make boilerplate.  Just pick up the name from the exe filename.

ashecorven:
I'm curious why the utility has not been kept up to date.  It seems like a cool idea.  I wonder if 64 bit stuff coming on has complicated things, along with the Programs and Features etc..-MilesAhead (February 05, 2015, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Glad you agree. :Thmbsup: Really hope this gets off the ground.
Scott Hanselman still recommends ZipInstaller, would be great if there was an updated version to take over and do things right.
Scott Hanselman's 2014 Ultimate Developer and Power Users Tool List for Windows

I don't see 64-bit being a problem (unless it's something other than detection you're discussing) ZipInstaller has had no issue with them (Regshot or RBTray for example). Info on whether it's 32 or 64-bit is in the File Header, Machine=014C (32-bit) or Machine=8664 (64-bit) and can be detected with 'file' or 'dumpbin'.

If there are multiple executables then the user can be prompted to choose which. Solves issue if there are both 32 and 64-bit exes in the zip (again, Regshot or RBTray for example).

Also I can't see Programmes and Features being a problem if the user can edit the detected information (or lack thereof - FastStone Capture v5.3 for example) as this would eliminate all the problems it currently has.

/edit: fixed examples

ashecorven:
Anyone interested?  :-[

MilesAhead:
Anyone interested?  :-[
-ashecorven (February 07, 2015, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't mind having a "one click" tool that would unzip and make the shortcuts.  Shortcuts are one of those tasks that is tedious to do as a user.  But I agree there should be editable fields so the user can override the names/locations etc..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version