ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Browser Hijackers

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:

Good stuff guys, tagged with one of my note programs for one of those days I feel like dealing with that stuff. Meanwhile Miles yes, the start page was changed, but it also tried to install an add-on, which first catches your eye even before your page opens. At least it's good FF put in that thing a while back about "approving add-ons", so that was one step blocked!

-TaoPhoenix (February 04, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

WinPatrol checks for BHOs added to IE but I don't think it checks FF AddOns.

TaoPhoenix:
Another possibility in culprit-hunting is to look for the date of the install of the browser hijacker and see what was installed that day.  The last time I ran into that type of situation, I used Everything and sorted the files on disk by creation date, a flat-view.
-Steven Avery (February 04, 2015, 05:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll use this note to reply to.

I poked at this today. But I can't find it in Add/Remove Programs. "Date Last Used" doesn't seem to help and nothing labeled "start" seems to be there by name per se, though I began reading a couple articles on this and it seems to be one of the nastier hijackers with a few re-install tricks.

I'll just have to chip away at this, though I'm more inclined again just to keep using FF-spinoffs since my PaleMoon is still clean. (For now! I still haven't upgraded.)

MilesAhead:
I

I'll just have to chip away at this,
-TaoPhoenix (February 05, 2015, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

btw what OS version and bitness are you running?

TaoPhoenix:
I

I'll just have to chip away at this,
-TaoPhoenix (February 05, 2015, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

btw what OS version and bitness are you running?
-MilesAhead (February 06, 2015, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

32 Bit XP ... slightly weakened over time by age and stuff. : )

But a clue is that these attacked my "main Firefox" series of browsers, that for a long while I used for almost nothing, and just that day I went to look at something and "poof - attacked". All my heavy duty is on Pale Moon, and it's just fine.

I see conflicting reports on the web about it. One thought it could even collect user data like logins and passwords to sites. So I have currently just dumped the links in a folder marked "beware".

I tried downloading one "tool to remove it" but I stopped it before it was finished, after I wasn't sure if it was hung up.

The steps I saw varied, with one of the more complex involving downloading something like five anti-malware programs.

MilesAhead:
One thing you may try to get more details is to use MozBackup or some other means of backing up a Firefox, then approve the AddOn install.  That should at least give some kind of name to search on.  I'm not sure how much damage a malicious FF AddOn can do so take suggestion with a grain of salt.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version