ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Processes and/or folders to exclude from malware scanners for Exchange email

<< < (4/4)

4wd:
Because if you could do a wildcard exception for *Outlook.com or 207.46.0.0./16 (the MS owned IP block that Outlook.com runs on) that should cover everything flowing between OL & Ex.-Stoic Joker (May 24, 2015, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can exclude a domain, (eg. outlook.com), you can't exclude an IP with mask, (eg. x.x.x.x/24), single IPs only - so no wildcarding of any kind.

If you exclude a process, (eg. outlook.exe), then it doesn't matter what it tries to connect to, MBAM will allow it.

questorfla:
Thanks 4wd (thought you were on vacation :)  )
Also thanks to others.  What has really been a pain is that no one wants to "say" what to do.  Not MS, not MBAM, not anyone.  I suppose they all assume that the information could be used by "unfriendly parties".  I am well aware that there is supposedly no need for scanning anything sent through exchange email due to all the .. "stated" extreme scanning the mail goes through on the server itself. 
This is OK by me if true.  I can't see whee scanning could possibly speed up anything and The email transfer is priority one around here. 
I wont swear to it but i think i had already tried to exclude outlook.exe but this still did not fix it.  Because Outlook "re-sync" every 15 seconds, some service is running constantly and i assume that is what MBAM objects to.  (why it stops it).
I admit, i have not done the most obvious thing which would be to run process explorer and see what process it is killing but i believe it is a "side-effect" not intentional because there is never a reported issue   no malicious websites found  no nothing.  Just a failure of the exchange servers to connect.

Disabling malicious website testing seems to solve the problem ..and not just for me.  I found this "fix" after a heck of a lot of looking.  It is juts amazing how many people reported this exact same problem on the MBAM forums and got totally blown off.  One excuse or another in some cases but in others they were simply ignored.

And I am sure that component does some good I just don't know what.  Turning it off leave you with a nagging reminder at the bottom of the screen but Outlook is happy.
Some days you just can;t win/ :(

4wd:
Thanks 4wd (thought you were on vacation :)  )-questorfla (May 24, 2015, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Working people have vacations, not being in employment the correct term is "go away"  ;D

Because Outlook "re-sync" every 15 seconds, some service is running constantly and i assume that is what MBAM objects to.
--- End quote ---

Is anything reported in the MBAM logs?

I have MBAM but I disabled it long ago from any form of real-time monitoring since it was annoying the hell out of me, (as is the case with almost all AV/AM I've run).

questorfla:
Nope.  Checked the logs.  I did find out their techs refuse to help people because this apparently is only noticed by businesses (those running exchange server) and the Malware bytes we bought and paid for was only Premier./  The best they had (i thought)  but they say it is Not for use in businesses.  (This part is probably true, either way thug, we paid for it so i would have thought they would be polite about it but apparently this (being polite) is not in great supply wherever they are located.

They would rather toss you out of the "Forum" which is all the tech support you get. I am thinking about maybe SuperAntiSpyware but... It is so hard to tel these days what is real and what is a REAL piece of Junkware itself.
I did not even know they had a business version so I bought what i thought was the most expensive (and therefore the best) they had.

Premier probably IS the "BEST" for capabilities but the Business version must have a lot of "holes" in it to allow the Exchange Servers to keep linked.  It is version 1.79 or so compared to the Premier being version 2.16 or there abouts.

Like all that stuff from REASON SOFTWARE.  Is any of "IT" real?  I have tried all of them and some actually look decent but it is hard to get a "good feeling" about a company that gives away so much stuff.  How can they pay the bills?  And stay in business?

Stoic Joker:
I did find out their techs refuse to help people because this apparently is only noticed by businesses (those running exchange server) and the Malware bytes we bought and paid for was only Premier./  The best they had (i thought)  but they say it is Not for use in businesses.-questorfla (May 28, 2015, 11:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

O_o That's a hell of a hair to split. If I go to Hotmail.com, I get redirected to Outlook.com...(just like for the full blown hosted MS Exchange)...because that's where everything MS mail is sent these days. So given the behavior you've described it should be just as error prone when mom & pop home user X tries to access their Hotmail/Live/Outlook account.

I say set up a test using a straight-up-free-for-home-use Outlook account...and if/when that fails the same way, nail'em to the door with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version