ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how do I disable FF Synch or whatever it is?

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
I've found that Firefox Portable will still use the default Firefox profile location. Meaning it doesn't matter how many copies you make of it, they're all using the same profile on your computer. I found this out when I downloaded Firefox Developer Edition Portable and it wouldn't run while I had Firefox Portable also running, because "the profile was in use."

bit:
I've found that Firefox Portable will still use the default Firefox profile location. Meaning it doesn't matter how many copies you make of it, they're all using the same profile on your computer. I found this out when I downloaded Firefox Developer Edition Portable and it wouldn't run while I had Firefox Portable also running, because "the profile was in use."
-Deozaan (February 03, 2015, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tnx. AFAIC, this means FF Portable is -not- portable.
I had not fixed all my FF problems caused by FF 'password importer-exporter';
https://addons.mozilla.or.../addon/password-exporter/
If you want to totally goof up FF, that is the perfect add-on.

All my bookmarks had lost their individual icons, or 'favicons'.
After a little research, I rebooted with a backup HD connected in secondary mode.
Then I navigated through both HDs to this location;
C:\Users\Vinyard Crew\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
and same spot in the backup HD.
Then I copied the Firefox folder from the backup HD to the same spot in C:, replacing it.
Result; I fixed FF '(not)-Portable', and got back a full set of slightly out-of-date Bookmarks, complete with favicons (a few still missing, but only about 1%), and even got all my Passwords back.
Shut down, unplugged the backup IDE-HD, rebooted, and tidied up with reg, antivirus, and PUP scans.
I suggest Mozilla rename their FF 'portable' version 'Firefox Unportable' (which also makes it all but 'unsupportable'). :)

4wd:
I suggest Mozilla rename their FF 'portable' version 'Firefox Unportable' (which also makes it all but 'unsupportable'). :)-bit (February 04, 2015, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK, Mozilla itself doesn't make a portable version of Firefox, that's done by others who package it up in a wrapper, (PortableApps), or who recompile/install it to be so, (Pale Moon, IceDragon).

All being said, if you want a portable version of Firefox I probably would have used Pale Moon or IceDragon since they don't use a wrapper to write things to the system and then clean up afterwards.

bit:
I suggest Mozilla rename their FF 'portable' version 'Firefox Unportable' (which also makes it all but 'unsupportable'). :)-bit (February 04, 2015, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK, Mozilla itself doesn't make a portable version of Firefox, that's done by others who package it up in a wrapper, (PortableApps), or who recompile/install it to be so, (Pale Moon, IceDragon).

All being said, if you want a portable version of Firefox I probably would have used Pale Moon or IceDragon since they don't use a wrapper to write things to the system and then clean up afterwards.
-4wd (February 04, 2015, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tnx. Any particular add-ons you would recommend?  :)

4wd:
Tnx. Any particular add-ons you would recommend?  :)-bit (February 04, 2015, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have the following installed in Pale Moon x64 (non-portable):

- Advanced URL Builder 1.6.29
   Append selected text to the URL of your favourite site.
- Bluhell Firewall 2.5.0
   Lightweight Ad-Blocker and Tracking/Privacy Protector.
- Download Statusbar 0.9.10
   View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
- DownloadHelper 4.9.24
   Download videos and images from many sites
- DownThemAll! 2.0.18
   The mass downloader for Firefox.
- Extension List Dumper 1.15.2
   Dumps a list of the installed extensions.
- Form History Control 1.4.0.2
   Manage Form History (view, edit, delete, clean-up, export/import)
- Ghostery 5.4.1
- Google search link fix 1.4.9
   Prevents Google, Yahoo and Yandex search pages from modifying search result links when you click them. This is useful when copying links but it also helps privacy by preventing the search engines from recording your clicks.
- Greasemonkey 1.15
   A User Script Manager for Firefox
- Lightbeam 1.0.10.2
   Lightbeam is a Firefox add-on that allows you to see the third parties that are collecting information about your browsing activity, with and without your consent. Using interactive visualizations, Lightbeam shows you the relationships between these third parties and the sites you visit.
- Master Password+ 1.21.3
   Various enhancements for built-in "Master Password" feature
- Open RegEdit Key 0.2.0
   Open selected registry in the registry editor from context menu.
- RefControl 0.8.17
   Control what gets sent as the HTTP Referer on a per-site basis.
- RequestPolicy 1.0.beta8.2
   Control which cross-site requests are allowed. Improve the privacy of your browsing. Secure yourself from Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) and other attacks.
- Self-Destructing Cookies 0.4.6
   Fix the web. Gets rid of a site's cookies and LocalStorage as soon as you close its tabs. Protects against trackers and zombie-cookies. Trustworthy services can be whitelisted.
- Speed Dial [FVD] - New Tab Page, Sync... 6.7.2
   FVD Speed Dial - Speed dial button, Online Synchronization, New Tab Start Page, Organize bookmarks, Custom backgrounds, custom dials, organized groups, most visited dials.
- Stylish 2.0.1
   Restyle the web with Stylish, a user styles manager.
- Suspend Tab 0.2.2014050201
   Suspends background old tabs automatically to save memory usage.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.6
   Tab browsing with an added boost.
- TinEye Reverse Image Search 1.1
   Adds TinEye search context menu item for images.
- TrashMail.com 2.7.1
   Create disposable email addresses.
- Vacuum Places Improved 1.2
   Defragment your places.sqlite database to speed-up Firefox
--- End quote ---

I could probably get rid of a couple since they seemed like a good idea at the time but I never use them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version