ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how do I disable FF Synch or whatever it is?

<< < (2/3) > >>

bit:
I put [Mozilla Firefox] and its two backups in the Recycle Bin, and rebooted.
Then I started FF Portable directly from a DVD that has a backup copy I just burned to the DVD before all the problems started, and the bookmarks are missing from that one also.
I mean, the DVD is immune to changes, but after FF starts from the DVD, the changes magically 'appear' (missing bookmarks).
The bookmarks are still there in the DVD that was out of the machine.
They just aren't there after I start FF from the DVD.
Some kind of a 'middle process' is interfering.
I see 'Mozilla Firefox 35.0.1 (x86-en-US)' and 'Mozilla Maintenance Service' in my Control Panel\Programs\Uninstall or Change a Program window, and I wonder if it's doing this.
If I 'uninstall/delete' these, then will I get a conflict by copying FF from the DVD without 'reinstalling' FF from an installer file?

4wd:
I see 'Mozilla Firefox 35.0.1 (x86-en-US)' and 'Mozilla Maintenance Service' in my Control Panel\Programs\Uninstall or Change a Program window, and I wonder if it's doing this.-bit (February 02, 2015, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

You have Firefox installed also?
Sounds like you might have Automatically install updates set in one of the portables - not a good idea.

If you don't use it, uninstall it.

At a guess, all your portable versions are picking up the profile folder for the installed version - therefore, changes in one appear to be propagated to all.  Whereas, they're all just pointing to the same profile folder.

BTW, your computer is a mess  :P

bit:
I see 'Mozilla Firefox 35.0.1 (x86-en-US)' and 'Mozilla Maintenance Service' in my Control Panel\Programs\Uninstall or Change a Program window, and I wonder if it's doing this.-bit (February 02, 2015, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

You have Firefox installed also?
Sounds like you might have Automatically install updates set in one of the portables - not a good idea.

If you don't use it, uninstall it.

At a guess, all your portable versions are picking up the profile folder for the installed version - therefore, changes in one appear to be propagated to all.  Whereas, they're all just pointing to the same profile folder.

BTW, your computer is a mess  :P
-4wd (February 02, 2015, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
I appreciate your sense of humor. :D
You're onto something; I'm sure of it. :)
I transferred the goofed main and backup copies to Recycle Bin, then copied an ungoofed copy from DVD to Program Files; and it looks goofed also; yet I know it has Bookmarks b/c I can see them in the folder.
'Automatically install updates' is already disabled in the DVD copy.
There must be a Profile folder somewhere outside the Portable folder and I'm not sure where to look?

I have a Bookmark file on the DVD that is half a day old, and no clue how to make it appear in the new active FF copy I just x-ferred to Program Files, and it's there in the copy.

bit:
Restored my Bookmarks.
Is there a way to restore my FF Profile to earlier today or yesterday I wonder?
Or would an earlier Restore Point do it?
I made one earlier today and yesterday.

bit:
I ran a Restore Point from earlier today and seem to have corrected everything except the manually deleted passwords.
My FF Bookmarks are back, which I value more than the FF passwords (although losing either is an annoyance).
I already mostly don't use the passwords in FF anyway, in preference to Seamonkey, and I can manually restore the few I need for FF.

I found out that to help recover from snafus, the Profile that contains Bookmarks and Passwords is kept separate from the Mozilla Firefox folder.
This worked against me when I relied on my duplicate FF bkup folders -with FF Portable- to protect me from a manual goof-up.
That's my 'take' on it anyway.

AFAIC, that FF 'password importer-exporter';
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/password-exporter/
is bad news; it ate my Bookmarks and also made a valuable add-on called Scrapbook disappear, but a Restore Point from hours earlier seems to have fixed those problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version