ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Who gets sued next? VLC media player? Mozilla?

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
Guns can be used only for killing/injuring people. I haven't heard of anyone using a revolver to generate power. (Yeah I know the line "you have guns to deter others, not to actually use them." and I know the second amendment's advertised raison d'etre. But I don't believe everything I hear).

Blog software also has one purpose, but it is not crime related (at least assuming we have freedom of expression). The link between blog software and piracy is not as direct as the link between gun and murder.-eleman (January 31, 2015, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Its' true that guns do have a bit of an image problem coming up with a second usage. But if one's intended usage is "Lawful self defense" (a mandatory checkbox on the carry permit application) as a purchase reason then it is per se, quite legal. Conversely if the blog was purchased with the sole intent of presenting one of an ever growing list of topics that are quickly becoming "exempt" from the purview of free speech...well ... Someone...someday... may find reason to start requiring a waiting period - and a bit of background checking - for those too.

Note: personally I agree with you on the distinction. But it's lines like the above that (need to) get crossed if the system (and it's right's/freedoms) we know is to be properly and completely flushed down the proverbial toilet.

40hz:
Note: personally I agree with you on the distinction. But it's lines like the above that (need to) get crossed if the system (and it's right's/freedoms) we know is to be properly and completely flushed down the proverbial toilet.
-Stoic Joker (January 31, 2015, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's gone beyond that already. Right now we're waiting for the guy with the plumber's helper to show up, do his thing, and then give it a second flush.

Stoic Joker:
^Gee, thanks for totally crushing my feeble attempt at trying to pretend I could be at least fake being somewhat optimistic..

40hz:
^Apologies. :(  But sooner or later we're all gonna have to acknowledge that a certain thing we were warned about - and possibly feared the most - has already come to pass. It's no longer a question of what or if. It's now become the far more frightening question of what to do about it.

I think the reality of our situation is getting ready to call our bluff very shortly.

Welcome to "historically interesting" times. :tellme:

Stoic Joker:
^Apologies. :(  -40hz (January 31, 2015, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

No need, I was actually trying to be funny (it was a sarcastic dig at my own cynicism).

Welcome to "historically interesting" times. :tellme:-40hz (January 31, 2015, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed we are. And much like with Doctor Who's Weeping Angels, we're unable to look away for fear of being consumed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version