ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Secure Email As a Potential Terrorist Indicator" ??!

<< < (3/3)

tomos:
^good points. FWIW I'm not a fan of the whole rights approach to the world.

When you start assigning guaranteed rights to people, people almost always find usage cases that the majority will not ever agree is acceptable and will seek to do something about even if it means that the expected rights are no longer inalienable.
-SeraphimLabs (January 29, 2015, 08:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

with ^that^ in mind, I shortened this bit:

Its illegal because it violates somebody else [...]
-SeraphimLabs (January 29, 2015, 08:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
^good points. FWIW I'm not a fan of the whole rights approach to the world.
-tomos (January 30, 2015, 03:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I found "right" repugnant for a very long time until I learned more about the topic.

What might help clear up some (as it did for me) is the difference between negative and positive rights.

e.g. I have a negative right not to be punched in the face by you, and vice versa.

I do not have a positive right to take your property for my own purposes (e.g. taxation).

I do not have a positive right to force you to not say nasty things, and vice versa.

I do have a negative right to not have you (or anyone else) silence me. (free speech)

etc. etc.

Today, people claim all sorts of insane rights. e.g. Free water. Well (pun intended), who is going to clean the water and deliver it? Is their time worth nothing? Should they just be slaves for "my free rightful water"? Obviously nobody has an innate right to free water. Those that claim otherwise are at best being intellectually dishonest.

The same goes for any time someone claims a right to something that they want for free. Healthcare, birth control, water, paved roads, etc. etc.

People often mistake "rights" for "entitlements". e.g. While you have no right to free water, if you have paid for water services (through any method, including taxation), you are entitled to what you have paid for. Sub in "health care" there or whatever.

That's muddy, but at least in the 'right' direction. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version