ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

stickies Notezilla memoboard as full-blown personal note system

<< < (14/16) > >>

conceptworld:

Thanks @Tomos  ;D

xtabber:
I doubt if anyone is reading our one-to-one conversation  :huh:
-conceptworld (August 02, 2016, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had looked briefly at Notezilla some time ago and dismissed it, but reading this conversation made me realize that it could in fact help me with some specific needs, so I bought a subscription yesterday.

I also appreciate your responsiveness as a developer. :Thmbsup:

app103:
I doubt if anyone is reading our one-to-one conversation  :huh:
-conceptworld (August 02, 2016, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it has to do with Noteilla and it's posted publicly, I'm reading it.  ;)

Steven Avery:
Sometimes Notezilla is puzzling. I put aside the sync some years back, but I know that sync is often problematic and you have to be careful.  It works nicely in Evernote, about the only place I trust synch. .. in the Firefox bookmarks (I also use Roomy Bookmarks so it is a kind of information system) I find I do better with backup and restore when switching to other puters.

A few months ago, there was a glitch in a file, Gautam fixed it, although I was out of commission for a little bit.  Ok, fair enough. Good support, program-data glitch of some sort.

Still, the positive elements have been extremely productive.  Popping up a note to a website is really kewl, although this is not unique to Notezilla. Some of the structural excellence of the Notes Browser are less significant now that I use Evernote a lot more for permanent notes. I like to use Notezilla when I am first working with something, and then transfer it down to Evernote.  If Notezilla does not prove itself stabile, then Stickies, PNotes or another (as long as they pop up to a website, note that there are two methods, one involving window name, one involving url, both are satisfactory, the window name has the advantage of including applications, that is what Notezilla uses) have to be considered.

Today I hit something else. Some glitch in the mental file placement and saving of changes logic.  I can make a change, close Notezilla, and then the change is not there on reopening.  In addition, there has not been a save for a few days. (Notezilla I think simply is supposed to automatically give you one daily save, if you are active in that day.)

I'll write Gautam, but this is important enough that I want it to be hashed out here, unto fix, understanding, completion. 

It looks like the only place the data and backup files are supposed to be is at Advanced-->Preferences-->Advanced.  So how could that not work?

Steven

Steven Avery:
Hope everyone had a nice day of giving thanks.

Psalm 100:4 (AV)
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise:
be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

=========================

Since my Notezilla has a glitch, I decided to play with PNote and PNote.net.  In fact, I ended up deciding that the older PNote is friendlier, at least for now. It is a rather robust program. Here are some notes on sticky notes.

======================

STICKY NOTES BASICS IN EVALUATION

1) How well do they stick to a window?

2) How well do they take advantage of the inherent advantage of a schema of, say, 5-columns on the Desktop and easily moving in and out of multiple such desktops?

(One big weakness of Evernote, OneNote, Rightnote, etc often boils down to the real estate waste. One note is one whole page. Evernote does give you some flexibility of having multiple notes open on neighboring parts of the desktop, and it has a nice "shortcuts on top" system.  Presumably Onenote also has some flexibilities here. Nonetheless, it is still far from sticky nice. Note that Evernote has at least two attempts to add a stickies element by utilities.)

Can you easily go in and out of multiple such schema?  What is the organizational method?  Would you be comfortable using it for a full-blown note folder-style note system?

3) Do they have any weaknesses on the basics of RTF, pasting pictures, editing.  (e.g. some sticky programs are bland text only)

4) Do they have extra capabilities that really look like they might be used (sending over a network, sync, etc.)

5) Do they have unique frustrations, such as puzzling groups of icons sans text

======================

That said, I am going to compare Notezilla and PNote.  Feel free to include Stickies or any other.

1) How well do they stick to a window?  This is Notezilla all the way. For one, a single note can stick to multiple windows. (Wildcards work well, too.) Easily. And PNote seems quite frustrating, once you pin a note, to find out how to unpin it, even in the Control Panel where the Pin is shown.  And the moment it is pinned to a window, it is removed from the desktop (Notezilla nicely asks). 

(Sidenote: the Firefox Internote used to go by URL for a browser, rather than a Window name.)

Overall, I have not found anything close to Notezilla on Window (including web pages) pop-up.   Even if I only used it for that purpose, at this time it should be in my arsenal.

2) Columns on a Desktop?
Notezilla works with a Notes Browser. It has a strong multi-folder structure and you can change the notes easily while in the Notes Browser.  Thus if you are trying to do a full-blown note system, as an alternative for Evernote or Rightnote or Onenote, it is possible.  However, I do not give Notezilla a point here, unless you have decided to make it your everything system. Due to a preference for Evernote and an occasional Notezilla stability or usage glitch, I am not going that way currently.

PNote has a Control Panel.  While you can not modify notes easily withinin the Control Panel, it has a very strong Groups and Tag system. You can easily show one or two single Groups on the Desktop.  Thus you can create sets of virtual full-desktop notes. 

So far, it seems like a win for PNote, in terms of setting up multiple Desktop groupings.  You could set up 5 or 10 or more groups, each one filling the desktop in 5+ columns (one or two rows, all flexible, some docking capability although not needed) and show one at a time.  This is how I like to work during the day. I like my ongoing notes be set up, and then as they mature on a topic, they might be moved to Evernote.  Some, like "what to do today" or "short-term travel plans" or "need to contact" will always do well as sticky note centric.

3) Weaknesses .. none apparent, but PNote can be a bit frustrating with things like too many buttons that are small. Or extra clicks to do something. The Notezilla edge here is minor and we can call it a wash.  (I'm more used to Notezilla)

4) Extra capabilities .. both have some. For now, a wash.

5) Unique frustrations?  I mentioned how PNote seemed almost surprisingly unusable for window-sticking with flexibility.  Notezilla has glitched a couple of times (including currently.)

==========================

Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version