ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Evernote Desktop v2.2.1.386.0 appreciation thread

(1/2) > >>

motiontwelve:
If anyone follows OutlinerSoftware forum, I have posted this Evernote v2.2.1.386.0 appreciation thread that might be interesting to people looking for a free, powerful, speedy, stable and cloudless note taking/organizing app.  I thought I would share here as well to help out those in need:
After months of searching for a local note taking app, I realized that the only one that still meets all of my needs is the ancient version of Evernote, specifically v2.2.1.386.0 (can be found here).  The desktop version contains additional features like OCR and installs without admin rights.
I have probably compared almost all of the alternatives in the following link that work locally:
Note Apps
In terms of search (multi partial keywords, fast-as-you-type), automatic OCR, rich text support including pictures and tables, tagging, speed, portability, minimalistic GUI, multi-windows if needed, and cloudless compatibility, Evernote v2.2.1.386.0 came out on top, way ahead of the competition.  Even with Win 8 or 8.1, it will still work if installed and ran in compatibility mode.
As most Evernote followers probably already know, with the introduction of v3, the company took a different approach and started stripping features and pushing for full cloud dependence.  By trying to maximize profits, an amazing product had to take a side turn.
I am interested to hear who else is still using this old gem and your views about the subject of negative impact of business factors on software development.

superboyac:
lol...I totally sympathize with your feelings.  That version of evernote was pretty killer, hit all the sweet spots just right.

IainB:
Interesting. That seemed to be a piece of software with superb, but not realised potential. I didn't appreciate that it still worked with Evernote though. I thought it had been deprecated/hobbled because they belatedly realised it didn't fit with the Evernote lock-in  - oops, sorry, "business model".
In the various comments I have posted on DCF and OutLinerSoftware.com, I have often referred directly or obliquely to this defunct software.
One of the main reasons I use OneNote now is that Evernote pulled that client software.

rjbull:
I'm still using a registered copy of 2.2.0.384  :)  It's still the best thing I've used for clipping from the web.  RightNote probably gives a slightly better rendition of the web page, but tends to be fragile on my system, and in any case I usually just want the content, without worrying too much about the exact appearance.

I didn't realise Evernote desktop had been declared free.  Is it definitely kosher?

Curt:
EVERNOTE SETS NEW RECORDS ON POPULAR “GIVEAWAY OF THE DAY” WEBSITE
EverNote Breaks Records for Downloads, Traffic, Visitors, and Page Views

– On November 15th, 2007 EverNote® Corporation offered the latest release of its popular software, EverNote 2.2, as a free giveaway on GiveAway of the Day, a popular site which brings licensed software to consumers all over the world. The giveaway offer was met with unprecedented demand, breaking the site’s download records by more than 10,000 individual downloads.

The EverNote promotion broke records for single day site traffic with 128,000 unique visitors and 250,000 pageviews culminating in over 35,000 downloads of EverNote 2.2, and demonstrating the enormous appeal of EverNote software and its innovative technology. In addition, nearly forty blog sites wrote reviews pointing to the promotion including Lifehacker, Consumerist, jkOnTheRun, and GottaBeMobile, all demonstrating the widespread support that EverNote enjoys.

“Visitors to our site clearly saw the benefits of EverNote and flocked to the download page, amazingly breaking all our previous download records,” said Victor Sazhin, President of SoftDeluxe®, which owns and operates GiveAway of the Day.-Press Release
--- End quote ---
-Curt (January 09, 2008, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
re the beta, have a look at this and following posts from the "EverNote beta 2.2.0.372 has some nice new features" thread

It seems to be moving towards an online database where you might not even be able to backup to local disk  :down:
(...)-tomos (March 21, 2008, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Many people here abandoned evernote when it went 'cloud'.(...)-urlwolf (August 28, 2011, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot for the link, http://jlog.jgen.ws/evernote-2-2-1-386-0/  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version