ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

net page sticky notes - flexibility in pages stuck comparable to Internote

(1/1)

Steven Avery:
Internote is a long-standing sticky note Firefox extension that does a good job in allowing you to decide which pages get the note.

However it is rudimentary in other ways.  

Although there is a good notes page on Sourceforge.
http://internote.sourceforge.net/help30/en-US.xml
(Ironically, that page itself went blank on me when it was given a sticky!)

There are many sticky note alternatives, that can be either involved with your

a) desktop
b) sticking to a Window (as defined by Windows API functions, with some variations)  
c) your specific webpages on a site (e.g. Listhings) to see through the browser
d) external webpages  

These may be dedicated sticky note programs, or various utilities like Diigo or CintaNotes or this and that. And I am wondering who has a web page identity function (d) that is most comparable to Internote? Such a program does not have to have other functions, or sticky note functions (e.g. a,b,c).

See the pic.

Thanks!

Internote is good, I have a note to the current developer out. However it is largely dormant, the last update seems to be 2011, has only color of text and background for the full note as RTF styling (in a nice flipside implementation). And I find the mouse resizing-width function to work awkwardly.

Steven

Steven Avery:
Architecture difference.
PNotes and NoteZilla work with a Window API name, and allow the use of * (and ? wildcard in PNote) for name flexibility.

The Internote note is the most persistent (not dependent on focus) and quickest in addition to having the nicest url architecture.  And keeps a relative position on the webpage.

NoteZilla and PNote keep a window position (which is better? sort of depends).  NoteZilla has been very active recently.
Internote is the least pleasant, with minimal features and I was frustrated a bit by the resizing.

The PNote pinning has hit some snags.  Hit an SQL exception and a difficulty in actually bringing up the pinning window aspect in the Manage section or from the note.  However, still some potential and now it seems stabilized.

So far none of the three is fully comfortable, all have some potential.  If I was choosing one, probably NoteZilla, even though paid $ (I own a #7 license and would upgrade to 8, currently on trial.)

*** NoteZilla has a good Memoboard or Whiteboard implementation ***
.. this may be largely my answer to a column notepad.  May combine well with push networking. (Would be nice to have export to server-web page.)

So-so explanation:

Organizing sticky notes inside memoboards (folders) in Notezilla 8 for Windows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRELbgJXrgM

=======================================

Some of these might be good for webpages, some might be good for the column-based notepad.

Stickies - from web page, apparently wildcard similar to PNote and NoteZilla
http://tomrevell.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=gensupport&action=display&num=1357839534
There is not yet a comparable memoboard to NoteZilla.

Onenote

Diigo - part of a larger environment, found the implementation of stickies awkward
FloatNotes - Firefox extension - not really active

Web Page Sticky Notes (Beta) - Chrome only
Page Stickies - Chrome
Note Anywhere - Chrome
Sticky Notes Collector - Chrome
Sidenotes - Chrome

Syncpad for Simplenotes - extension says Chrome only - has a whiteboard implementation to check that is multi-browser
https://github.com/shatting/simplenote/issues/12
non-functional

Is Evernote capable of helping with either try?

Create Note Links For Easy Access Later
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cool-features-evernote-kick-ass-service/

Thus a url implementation.  Worth a try. It seems, though, that you would not have an easy ability to have the web page remember the notes, short of a distinct sticky anyway.  Is that right?  

(Listhings and Lino.it might be able to work with a url implementation, similarly combined with a sticky, since a page has a distinct url.)

Evernote: And how about the columned full page view?

ok, turns out I'm not the only one looking for a good Windows corkboard / memoboard /whiteboard

The Virtual Corkboard. Could This Be The Best Personal Organizer App? - robert.schifreen
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/virtual-corkboard-could-be-best-personal-organizer-app.htm

Steven

conceptworld:
Thanks for mentioning Notezilla :). We recently launched a native Android app too for Notezilla.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Steven Avery:
Hi Jim,

Welcome!
look forward to trying the Android app.

=====

Note that in another thread, with a pic too, I really decided to return to NoteZilla because of your excellent memoboard implementation.  This, combined with RTF and a tree structure and pleasant interface.  And I have not found anything comparable, neither web nor desktop apps.  This makes Notezilla my master short note place, starting yesterday.  Working fine. luv it.  

(For forum friends, Stickies, which we know is an excellent freeware program, only has backdoor methods to try to approach this memoboard functionality, at this time.  There is a thread on the Zhorn forum about the request.)

=====

Here are a couple of NoteZilla questions.

1) To use the network features, does each participating (even if just receiving) computer have to have a full independent license? What if they are your home puters?  This might be on your site, but maybe you can chat about it here.  Is there a need for a yearly subscription service?

2) Snap to grid .. making solid rectangles in some way.  
Any available function short of hand twiggling?  (This was one place where Stickies shines.)

3) Why not have a forum of sorts? Or at least a dedicated thread here?  We might be able to help with ideas of how and where and who.  Good solid software with longevity is hard to find.  Plus in the right environment you can have a high level of posting.

Steven

conceptworld:

Here are the answers to questions related to Notezilla.

1) To use the network features, does each participating (even if just receiving) computer have to have a full independent license? What if they are your home puters?  This might be on your site, but maybe you can chat about it here.  Is there a need for a yearly subscription service?
--- End quote ---

If the other computers are just your own computer (no other user) then you can just buy a single yearly subscription and sync your sticky notes between any number of devices or computers. All Notezillas need to be connected using a single cloud account. The cloud account will allow you access sticky notes from phone, another computer or from any where else using the Notezilla.Net web app. Also, this will allow you to send sticky notes to anyone over the Internet.

However, we do have a "one time payment" option too (no yearly subscription).  This is more of a standalone license. Doesn't allow you to sync between your computers & devices. However, you can send sticky notes to another computer via local network using IP address. This license allow you to use Notezilla on maximum 2 computers shared by same user.

In both the cases described above, another user will need to buy another license.

2) Snap to grid .. making solid rectangles in some way. 
Any available function short of hand twiggling?  (This was one place where Stickies shines.)
3) Why not have a forum of sorts? Or at least a dedicated thread here?  We might be able to help with ideas of how and where and who.  Good solid software with longevity is hard to find.  Plus in the right environment you can have a high level of posting.

--- End quote ---

Answered over here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=39951.msg374528#msg374528

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version