topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Macrium Reflect 6 News  (Read 21380 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Macrium Reflect 6 News
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Macrium Reflect version 6 is supposed to be released "in the next few weeks" according to an email I got from Macrium Sales.

I contacted Sales for Macrium Reflect regarding my registered version 4.2 of Reflect Standard edition and the upgrade to Macrium Reflect 5.3 Standard.  They emailed me back about the issue and also sent me a coupon code for an additional 40% discount on the upgrade.

One is not supposed to publish the code and I have not.  But I suggested on another board a Macrium user contact Sales using the Support Page Form and perhaps he would be contacted with the deal.  Sure enough they emailed him his own discount code.

The email also noted that nyone who now upgrades to 5.3 will be given a free upgrade to 6 when it comes out.  If you already have Macrium 5.3 then I guess there's a cutoff date for the free upgrade to 6.

Best bet if you are committed to Macrium Reflect is to contact sales using the form.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Macrium Reflect 6 News
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 09:45 AM »
I'm downloading Macrium Reflect 5.3 Standard now.  Because it also downloads WinPE 5.0 the download is about 450 MB.

After applying the coupon the cost to upgrade to Reflect 5.3 Standard from 4.2 is $20.24 if no sales tax applies.  The coupon had a 7 day expiration so I had to decide to use it without knowing exactly what will be in v. 6.  But the free 5.3 seems to work on my Laptop.  For $20 it seems like a good buy.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:04 AM »
I'm a big fan of macrium reflect.  Very fast, very stable, no bloat.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:21 PM »
I'm a big fan of macrium reflect.  Very fast, very stable, no bloat.

I tried it out.  The C: partition on my Laptop is 65 GB GPT.  It imaged it to a USB 3.0 stick in 1/2 hour. (It's an A-Data stick.  Not very fast but inexpensive and rugged.)  The image size is about 32 GB.  I'm curious to see what will be new in v. 6.0.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Macrium Reflect 6 Server Trial Edition
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 03:10 PM »
I got a response from Macrium with a link to the new Macrium Reflect 6 Server Edition.  They were kind enough to also provide a license key for me.  I am not allowed to share the key but the download link will run as a 30 day trial without it.  Note that it downloads the WinPE 5.0 bringing the download size to about 460 MB.

Macrium Reflect Standard Server Edition NFR Trial Link

Edit:  The link is to an exe(the downloader) but there's no way to go to the page as it's not accessible to the public yet.

Edit2:  I haven't used the Server Edition before.  Aside from scheduling and incremental/differential options the most interesting feature is a Delta algorithm that is supposed to speed up the restore process.  I did a backup but until I have a guinea pig machine I'm not going to restore just to test it.  :)  The backup went as expected. The backup image is about 50% the size of my C: partition.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:19 PM by MilesAhead »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:32 AM »
I have looked at this program several times, because I would like to have the PRO version. However, even the standard version's normal price is HIGH, I think, and the PRO version incl taxes is $74 :o

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:28 PM »
Just for the record, it seems the cut-off date for a free upgrade from v5 to v6 is if you purchased on or after November 17th 2014.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13 PM »
I have looked at this program several times, because I would like to have the PRO version. However, even the standard version's normal price is HIGH, I think, and the PRO version incl taxes is $74 :o

I think I paid for the Standard v. 4 to get the WinPE as I had that funky HD controller.  Also I could load the Windows driver for USB 3.0.  Back then the Free version did not provide WinPE if I recall correctly.  Take a look at EaseUS ToDo free version.  It has a pretty nice program.  I used it on 32 bit Win7 with no problems.  USB 3.0 support built into the Linux recue disc.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Looks like it's out:

http://blog.macrium....02/its-finally-here/

Update: Looks like I was throwing money out the window buying the v5 Professional edition, which just upgraded to the standard v6 Home edition :(.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:19 PM by Jibz »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 02:25 PM »
Looks like it's out:

http://blog.macrium....02/its-finally-here/

Update: Looks like I was throwing money out the window buying the v5 Professional edition, which just upgraded to the standard v6 Home edition :(.

Seems like they have "workstation" where Pro would be.  It's odd.  I would have thought they would upgrade on a tier basis.  Have you tried sending a note?  Right now with the new release they may want good word of mouth.  They might upgrade you if you explain why you feel vexed at the upgrade.  Might be worth a shot.

Edit: looking at the comparison chart the only difference I see from standard to workstation is that standard has support limited to one year.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 03:29 PM »
I should probably have posted a bit more explanation. When I bought v5, I was deciding between the household 4-pack normal license and a single professional license, which were not that far apart in price. I opted for the single professional license to get the extra features.

Now it appears they collapsed the home standard and home professional into a single home product, and if I had opted for the 4-pack normal license, I would now have a 4-pack v6 license, instead of a single one.

I think it is a good idea that they simplified the home licensing, but I feel the extra money I paid for the pro license was wasted.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 03:33 PM »
I think it is a good idea that they simplified the home licensing, but I feel the extra money I paid for the pro license was wasted.

I see.  Still, they hold the license keys.  Perhaps if you related why you would reconsider if you had the chance they might swap you the upgrade.  After all, you are still going to spend about the same amount of $$$.  It's the same cash flow for them.

Especially if you are a long time license holder they might feel in a generous mood. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 06:10 PM »
the extra money I paid for the pro license was wasted.

^ yep!

I agree you should ask if they will find it their heart to swift it for a Quattro  OOOO   :up:

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 01:04 AM »
Thanks guys, I think you are right, there is no harm in trying to contact them. I have sent them an email explaining the situation.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50 AM »
They replied there was no way to upgrade to a 4-pack, but they did offer me a special price on three more licenses. Unfortunately that would still make the total price more than double what I could have bought the 4-pack for at the black friday deal if I had gotten that instead (plus upgrading four individual licenses when v7 comes around will cost much more then upgrading a 4-pack).

I guess I was just unlucky buying the wrong thing.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 07:17 AM »
They replied there was no way to upgrade to a 4-pack, but they did offer me a special price on three more licenses. Unfortunately that would still make the total price more than double what I could have bought the 4-pack for at the black friday deal if I had gotten that instead (plus upgrading four individual licenses when v7 comes around will cost much more then upgrading a 4-pack).

I guess I was just unlucky buying the wrong thing.

Sorry to hear that.  I have to admit I like the realist developer who sells you a program and says "I expect you to use it on all the machines you own personally.  You are licensed to do so."  Just makes things neater. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 05:54 AM »
I just tried Macrium Standard Server Edition with the latest updates, using the maximum compression setting instead of the usual recommended Medium setting.  From this experience unless you absolutely have to squeeze every byte, I;d go with the recommended setting.  My 65 GB or so used on C: compresses to about 33 GB as an image file, in around 26 minutes.  Just to compare results I did another image using full compression.  The processing time rose to 38 minutes while only shaving a GB off the image file.

As it is I got a new 128GB USB3 stick.  With medium compression I should be able to fit 3 backup images(I haven't explored incremental methods etc. yet) and have room left over for regular file storage.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Incremental has won me over.  I did one after install of Visual Studio 2013.  It took about 13 minutes.  Better than 1/2 hour every time for full.  I like it.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 04:03 PM »
we skipped the version 6 news quite suddenly. "Macrium Reflect v6 Workstation" is on intro-offer for the rest of the month: > €61.00 Introductory Price ends 30th April 2015. Full price from 1st May 2015 will be $75 USD / €74 Euro / £53 GBP.< The word "Workstation" means good old "Pro" -("Support will not be provided to customers who use Home Edition in a business environment")- but as said by Jibz, there is no difference between Home and Workstation, except right now a buck...: "Macrium Reflect v6 Home Edition": €60.00, or 4 Pack Home Licence €119.00

http://www.macrium.com/personal.aspx
http://www.macrium.c...ges/comparisons.aspx

1.gif    2.gif
3.gif4.gif

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 11:34 AM »
I've been dithering about upgrading since January. I have two Pro licenses for version 5.x and am debating whether or not the upgrade is worth it? The few reviews that I've read on line seem to imply that there isn't much to be gained from upgrading 5->6 beyond faster startup times. Can anyone who's tried both comment?

Enquiring minds want to know. I want to know.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 11:45 AM »
I've been dithering about upgrading since January. I have two Pro licenses for version 5.x and am debating whether or not the upgrade is worth it? The few reviews that I've read on line seem to imply that there isn't much to be gained from upgrading 5->6 beyond faster startup times. Can anyone who's tried both comment?

Enquiring minds want to know. I want to know.

Incremental backups are available.
It's slightly easier to script for it (VBS, PowerShell, and MS-DOS).
Under the right circumstances restore can be a LOT faster.

I was on the fence about upping 4 Pro v.5 licences but decided to do it as any quirks that might arise from the final W10 will be covered by no-cost updates to 6.

5 would still be good enough—it's always worked for me.

I can verify that 6 works just fine as I recently decided that the way around a particular issue was simply to restore a 2-day-old backup.