ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 as an Internet service?

<< < (8/10) > >>

40hz:
Yes, except this time they are doing it to themselves...
-dr_andus (January 28, 2015, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mainly because I strongly suspect they don't know exactly how they want to play this yet. Or how heavy-handed they think they can get away with being about it. They tried some "tough love" with IT departments when they were releasing Windows 8. And that backfired on them rather spectacularly.

Their cleverly offering a no-charge upgrade (IMO it's not entirely accurate to call it 'free' since it comes with some caveats and conditions) neatly blocks any justification for government intervention however.

This will be interesting. And once again, I hope my deep distrust of Microsoft (the company) will prove to be completely unfounded. :o

wraith808:
As with a lot of things... there's FUD clouding the issue.
-wraith808 (January 28, 2015, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, except this time they are doing it to themselves...  :) My point is that MS introducing so much uncertainty may have created the opposite effect they wanted to achieve, i.e. people may be more inclined to stick with their Win7 instead (or even go out and buy a retail pack - at least looking at Amazon UK, people still seem to be buying them, even though it's 60 pounds (!) more expensive now than what I paid for it exactly 2 yrs ago).
-dr_andus (January 28, 2015, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

How are they doing it to themselves?  They've had free upgrades before... why assume that it's anything different than what the policy has always been?

40hz:
They've had free upgrades before...
-wraith808 (January 28, 2015, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't seem to recall any 'free' full version upgrades that weren't purchased as part of a "free upgrade" guarantee offer. (i.e. "Shop with confidence! Buy now - and get a 'free' upgrade to Windows XX when it's released later this year...") What did I miss?

why assume that it's anything different than what the policy has always been?
--- End quote ---

AFAIK, Microsoft's policy has always been: copies of Windows are never ever to be given away for free. Period. Everyone must pay something to get one. So in this instance, I think this marks a truly major departure from Microsoft's long standing "NO FREEBIES!" rule.

Did you see something that says otherwise? :huh:

wraith808:
They've had free upgrades before...
--- End quote ---

I don't seem to recall any 'free' full version upgrades that weren't purchased as part of a "free upgrade" guarantee offer. (i.e. "Shop with confidence! Buy now - and get a 'free' upgrade to Windows XX when it's released later this year...") What did I miss?

why assume that it's anything different than what the policy has always been?
--- End quote ---

AFAIK, Microsoft's policy has always been: copies of Windows are never ever to be given away for free. Period. Everyone must pay something to get one. So in this instance, I think this marks a truly major departure from Microsoft's long standing "NO FREEBIES!" rule.

Did you see something that says otherwise? :huh:
-40hz (January 28, 2015, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

As I said above, I received a free windows 8 upgrade, and a free windows 7 upgrade.  And the windows 7 upgrade was over a year after I purchased my Vista laptop.  The windows 8 was closer... but only by about 6 months.

wraith808:
Ah... I get the disconnect.  :-[

You're saying that b/c it's totally free, there has to be a catch.  I guess I don't see that.  I'm assuming it's the same way as any other upgrade.  And has the same sort of terms.  I just don't see where it's anything but an adoption and standardization tactic- and don't get where the talks of a subscription are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version