ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 as an Internet service?

<< < (7/10) > >>

40hz:
But that wasn't the way that the Windows 8 upgrade was handled for the same purpose.  I received media to install.
-wraith808 (January 26, 2015, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. But you either bought a new PC within the "qualifies for free upgrade to Windows 8" timeframe - or you paid money to get it.

This time it's is supposedly going to be absolutely free. But who knows? Maybe they'll give people the opportunity to purchase an optional media kit with disk(s)?

If there's no media and such, there's no way in HELL I'm taking them up on that offer.  And I think that anyone that has any modicum of sense would do the same.  There's too many reasons to need media to fall for that.
--- End quote ---

Agree 100%. I think hard media is essential for any purchased product - and very desirable even if it's not. But manufacturer supplied disks aren't necessary to recover your machine after the upgrade is completed. You can make a full set of recovery media from within Windows once it's installed. So the old "absolutely needed for disaster recovery" argument no longer applies.

Really blows...I know. But there you are.  8)

wraith808:
But that wasn't the way that the Windows 8 upgrade was handled for the same purpose.  I received media to install.
--- End quote ---

Yes. But you either bought a new PC within the "qualifies for free upgrade to Windows 8" timeframe - or you paid money to get it.
-40hz (January 26, 2015, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually... neither.  I purchased Windows 7 to install on my Macbook... and it came with a free upgrade to windows 8.  Seems like the same scenario.  I only paid for the media.  I could have gotten it as an anytime upgrade.... but... yeah.

dr_andus:
They intend to tombstone Windows 7. So as long as Windows 10 does as it claims on the tin, and doesn't try to fence you in too much without a viable escape hatch (which is probably too much to hope for), it's probably silly not to upgrade. Or at least no sillier than sticking with Windows to begin with. -40hz (January 26, 2015, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, or maybe not so silly if I don't want to pay the annual subscription fee when I move onto a newer "device" (considering that we don't even know how much that is going to be). I have invested a bit of money into my Win7 retail box, so it might be financially better to make the most of that investment, rather than starting to pay X no. of $$ annually....

I'm guessing they'll handle it through the same mechanism they use for their Anytime Upgrade. It'll probably read your ID and activation info, and update their customer database so they know you requested the upgrade - and then irrevocably move you up to 10 - after which you likely won't ever be able to downgrade to (or reactivate) Windows 7. Even if you have disks.
-40hz (January 26, 2015, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, in that case I might just want to stick with my Win7 disk for a while, in the face of all this uncertainty about the details (which even businesses do not tend to like). Wouldn't it just have been easier if they'd revealed a bit more detail and put our minds at ease??

wraith808:
Again, in that case I might just want to stick with my Win7 disk for a while, in the face of all this uncertainty about the details (which even businesses do not tend to like). Wouldn't it just have been easier if they'd revealed a bit more detail and put our minds at ease??
-dr_andus (January 28, 2015, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

As with a lot of things... there's FUD clouding the issue.  Everything people have said about subscriptions is based upon zero information and much speculation.  Perhaps, since they have already done the same sort of thing, and this is just an expansion of the same programs, they might assume that people would take it at the value of them going forth with the same policies?

dr_andus:
As with a lot of things... there's FUD clouding the issue.
-wraith808 (January 28, 2015, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, except this time they are doing it to themselves...  :) My point is that MS introducing so much uncertainty may have created the opposite effect they wanted to achieve, i.e. people may be more inclined to stick with their Win7 instead (or even go out and buy a retail pack - at least looking at Amazon UK, people still seem to be buying them, even though it's 60 pounds (!) more expensive now than what I paid for it exactly 2 yrs ago).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version