ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 as an Internet service?

<< < (4/10) > >>

40hz:
@40hz
Can you please explain further what leads you to the Linux line you posted? How it relates to today's news?
Serious question, I am not trying to be funny, may be I should read again but don't see the actual connection to something MS said today.
-rgdot (January 21, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not in the statement from Microsoft I quoted.

But many times in the past Microsoft has alleged that Linux/GNU violates in excess of 200 of its software patents. And although the company has waffled around acting upon it (and refused to say exactly what those patents are) no person in a position of authority at Microsoft has ever ruled out a future lawsuit or series of lawsuits. At this point in time, Microsoft seems to have contented itself with spreading enough FUD that many companies (and a few big Linux distros such as Redhat and Suse) have purchased licenses from Microsoft for supposedly infringing their IP. Unfortunately, those licenses are (by contractual agreement) a secret between Microsoft and those who signed them. So nobody in the broader FOSS community knows what the specific claimed IP violations are, or is able to re-code or change things in order to be non-infringing. Assuming they actually are. Cute move huh? It's basically saying: "You're infringing - but we're not going to do anything to let you know what or where."

When Linux began to look like it had a shot at becoming the next dominant desktop OS, Microsoft upped it's posturing and threatening. Including threatening corporations that adopted Linux. It's true that once Windows 7 became the success it became, and some major players in the FOSS community caved in and bought questionable licenses, Microsoft ramped their threats back down. But again. they never ruled out legal action in the future.

From Microsoft's past rhetoric and behavior, I suspect if they get a lot of pushback on where Windows 10 seems to be going - and Linux again starts looking like a good replacement - they'll start up their legal bullying and FUD machine again. Or possibly invoke the nuclear option and actually file a lawsuit against someone. Most likely Linux (i.e. the kernal) itself, which they claim has something like 65 infringing pieces in it.

Hope that clarifies. It's a long story. And it's been going on for the last 10 or so years. This is an older article that gets into the nitty -gritty of the thing. It'll give you some background as to what it's all about.

40hz:
So they might not be that easily fooled by one year of free subscription,
-dr_andus (January 21, 2015, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not a one year subscription. It's a one year window to claim a free upgrade.

I don't think Microsoft is going over to an Adobe subscription model just yet. But they have implied that updates may someday no longer be offered for free. Updates could eventually require a "maintenance" agreement in order for Windows users to receive them after a certain interval. Say one year from purchase?

rgdot:
@40hz
Can you please explain further what leads you to the Linux line you posted? How it relates to today's news?
Serious question, I am not trying to be funny, may be I should read again but don't see the actual connection to something MS said today.
--- End quote ---

But many times in the past Microsoft has alleged that Linux/GNU violates in excess of 200 of its software patents. And although the company has waffled around acting upon it (and refused to say exactly what those patents are) no person in a position of authority at Microsoft has ever ruled out a future lawsuit or series of lawsuits. At this point in time, Microsoft seems to have contented itself with spreading enough FUD that many companies (and a few big Linux distros such as Redhat and Suse) have purchased licenses from Microsoft for supposedly infringing their IP. Unfortunately, those licenses are (by contractual agreement) a secret between Microsoft and those who signed them. So nobody in the broader FOSS community knows what the specific claimed IP violations are, or is able to re-code or change things in order to be non-infringing. Assuming they actually are. Cute move huh? It's basically saying: "You're infringing - but we're not going to do anything to let you know what or where."

When Linux began to look like it had a shot at becoming the next dominant desktop OS, Microsoft upped it's posturing and threatening. Including threatening corporations that adopted Linux. It's true that once Windows 7 became the success it became, and some major players in the FOSS community caved in and bought questionable licenses, Microsoft ramped their threats back down. But again. they never ruled out legal action in the future.

From Microsoft's past rhetoric and behavior, I suspect if they get a lot of pushback on where Windows 10 seems to be going - and Linux again starts looking like a good replacement - they'll start up their legal bullying and FUD machine again. Or possibly invoke the nuclear option and actually file a lawsuit against someone. Most likely Linux (i.e. the kernal) itself, which they claim has something like 65 infringing pieces in it.

Hope that clarifies. It's a long story. And it's been going on for the last 10 or so years. This is an older article that gets into the nitty -gritty of the thing. It'll give you some background as to what it's all about.
-40hz (January 21, 2015, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. The lesson from back in the day of SCO Linux suits is I think it became clear that enough big names want/need Linux that I think we are almost certainly not reaching the place you allude to soon. Now if MS does more "buying into" Linux (patents, etc.) and then kill it from the inside ... probably still unlikely.

Linux for the desktop is far from a real threat anyway, over the years I have listed a few reasons here and elsewhere. Many big and small quirks...

superboyac:
@40hz
--- End quote ---

-40hz (January 21, 2015, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
You amaze me...often.  That was a damn fine read.

Renegade:
Ooooooh! This is going to end well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version