ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

chrome browser is so nasty

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
If Chrome works for you, by all means be happy with it. It isn't a bad browser at all. -Shades (January 19, 2015, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't use it because of all the "We're watching you" stuff it comes with, just pointing out anything associated with Google, (Picasa, Google Earth, etc), is going to install that updater service.
-4wd (January 19, 2015, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Supposedly the chromium open source version has the monitoring removed or can be neutralized with about:config or command line switches.  I've been back with Firefox for awhile so this could have changed somewhat.  I was more concerned about the number of processes.  It seemed to like to launch something around the number of open tabs plus 4.  But there is a command line switch to set the max.  It seemed to run just as well for me with 1/2 dozen instances as 12.  But I don't put that much of a load on browsers.

I think of all the chrome variants chromium is most likely to have the monitoring stuff pointed out by users as some compile it themselves and look through the code.  Also there's an active discussion mailing list.

techidave:
I just started playing with IceDragon.  very fast.

MilesAhead:
I just started playing with IceDragon.  very fast.

-techidave (January 22, 2015, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems worth a look.  Installing in "portable mode" is described here:
https://help.comodo.com/topic-169-1-413-4903-.html

Once set up copy the program folder to USB as all the settings etc. are self contained.

Edit:  Windows versions after XP seem touchier about programs altering files under Program Files.  If access denied errors pop up it might be solved by taking ownership of the folder, if you are on a single user system.

Edit2:  The other detail of note is the FF version is 26.x.  I'm downloading now.  With the built in virus scan it might be a nice addition for a USB toolkit.

Edit3:  So far not so good. I installed in Portable Mode.  Even after a reboot I get "Ice Dragon is already running but not responding." It doesn't show in Task Manager.  Something is busted.  :)

Stoic Joker:
Edit3:  So far not so good. I installed in Portable Mode.  Even after a reboot I get "Ice Dragon is already running but not responding." It doesn't show in Task Manager.  Something is busted.-MilesAhead (January 22, 2015, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

At least you got an error message ... Mine won't even do that. :(

I also went portable on Win7 x64 Pro. Moved portable folder to location w/o permissions issues, and still no dice.

Maybe TD meant he played with it fast, because it wouldn't start.. :D

4wd:
It's running fine here; installed in portable mode, did not select SecureDNS, and then ran it, (typing in it now) - Win8.1Pro x86

Just copied the entire folder to WHS2011 (x64) and it ran fine also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version